• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do i format my 64g SD card so i can get files over 4g on it?

How to I format the card so I can put files over 4g on it? I put it in the adapater and formatted it to NTFS in my PC plugged it back in and phone and had to reformat it to use once in and it reformatted back to FAT?

Thanks for the help.

There's a more thorough discussion about this on XDA. Apparently, it's a known "issue" with the Class 10 Sandisk 64gb micro sdxc. From what I understand, it can't be formatted to NTFS.

The rest of the talk honestly went way over my head, and I haven't had any problems using my 64 class 10, but you may want to track down that thread to see what was being explained. Hopefully, you'd be able to shed some light on what the problems/issues/differences are with the different formatting.

Upvote 0
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33227099&postcount=2

ycrimim wrote>

Hi.

I can confirm it is possible, but you need a rooted Note 2. I just copied a 5.26 Gbyte video to my Note 2 64 GByte card ...

It's not stable though: just after copying, the Note 2 became veeeeeeery slow and needed a reboot. I'm sure that'll work out better in the future.

You need:

- On the phone: SGS3 Easy UMS (see here)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1711009

- On the PC: SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe (see here)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1564104
SGS3 Easy UMS needs BusyBox and asks for its installation. I used the "Install" method during the BusyBox installation instead of "Smart Install". I don't know if it matters, but it worked at least.

Because of the slowness issue, I instructed SGS Easy UMS to use MTP again as default. It's easy enough to swith to UMS mode if necessary.

YMMV : hope it helps

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
You could always use something like handbrake to convert it down a smidge and get it under 4gb. I had to do that recently for my bluray rip of inception. I converted it all the way down to 2 gb. Quality is still excellent on a screen this size. Really no need for anything more unless you want to output it over HDMI to something bigger.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Just kind of lazy I have dumped several things under 4g's on the phone itself and had no issue with the mkv files.

Don't really want to get into converting them.

Of course XDA went down for maintenance as I started reading the links for a few hours ha.

Can you do this without rooting your phone? Was a bit hard to follow at first I have the app on my phone, says I need to root it to run it, can you just do it outside in your PC then put it back in after formatted?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones