1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How do I format the SD Card for my Android phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Robzilla90, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Robzilla90

Robzilla90 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    I tried to format it on my laptop via adapter, by right clicking SD Card F: going to format, selecting FAT32, checking the quick format box, and pressing start but whenever I place it back in my phone, it won't mount. It says it's damaged. I had the same problem when I first purchased the sd card but found a link online that showed me how to format it a different way,in another location, which worked perfectly. I recently removed the sd card for something though and encountered this same problem but am unable to find that same link. It's driving me nuts! I had to import everything to my laptop to make sure I didn't lose it all. Please help

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Uncheck Quick Format. That just reformats the directory, it doesn't format the card. (They're two totally different things.)

If your phone doesn't like a card formatted in a computer, then's the time to find out how to boot your particular phone into recovery mode (it's usually pressing some combination of buttons in addition to the power button, although you can use adb on the computer to tell the phone to boot to recovery). Recovery has a format external SD card option.

3. Robzilla90

Robzilla90 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    Hmmm interesting. I've tried a full format by unchecking the quick format box. It takes forever and doesn't work at all. I'm really hoping to find the same way I did it when I first got the card, since it worked like a charm. I just don't remember how. It was similar to the same process I described by right clicking the SD Card F: icon but in a totally different location in my computer... I think. Like 90% sure. I've had the card for awhile

4. Robzilla90

Robzilla90 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    If I do a CWM recovery, will I lose anything? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the process at all.

Tags: