• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I get a USB stick with an adapter to work with an Android phone (rather than a tablet)?

Kiran_pa

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
I have a USB stick that lights up when it is plugged in. I have attached it to laptops and tablets (Androids via USB adapters), and it lights up and works well. When I attach it to cell phones (through the same adapter that I do with tablets), it does not light up. Is there a setting to enable the Android phone to give power to the attached devices (the way Android tablets do)?

Reactions: superandroninja
I've used USB sticks through OTG adapters just fine on my phones, no special setting required. Something like a hard drive would require an external power source, but a simple flash drive shouldn't.

Maybe go into the storage settings and see whether there's an option to mount it? But I just tried one on my phone this minute and it mounted automatically.

Perhaps also tell us what phone you have, in case that helps anyone.

Upvote 0
I have a USB stick that lights up when it is plugged in. I have attached it to laptops and tablets (Androids via USB adapters), and it lights up and works well. When I attach it to cell phones (through the same adapter that I do with tablets), it does not light up. Is there a setting to enable the Android phone to give power to the attached devices (the way Android tablets do)?

Check if the phone actually supports USB-OTG. Not all phones do, particularly budget devices. The fact it doesn't light up, sounds the phone doesn't support OTG.

Upvote 0
I was confused at the beginning how OTG works and found out the port on a mobile is a simple USB Port.
You can connect everything with a USB cable.
A test?
Plug in a computer usb mouse with a otg cable.
with that you know fast your port works.
don't ask what to do if not.
the only thing I know is if you have something that needs more power you need a external powersource.
for example if you plug in a external harddisk is the possiblity there you destroy your port on you mobile.
for external harddisk you have otg cable with a 3rd plug for a powersource.
this powersource normally is there only for the ext harddisk and not for the mobile.
plug in a mobile loader the harddisk get power but your mobile get not loaded.

Upvote 0
Here you go.
51OZ-TGl03L._AC_SY550_.jpg

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Dumass question coz I can't remember kernel, but if a device has a particular SoC and it supports OTG, will that mean any device with the same SoC will also support, or does it vary from OEM, boards software (ah kernel?) and whatnots

Also in the past some device spec sheets list USB Host among its connection features rather than OTG, so I presume a hosting device will mean or include OTG.

OP there are many OTG checker apps available, which I only discovered now.

Reactions: MrJavi and Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones