1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I get back to original rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bazwillrun, Apr 12, 2012.

1. bazwillrun

bazwillrun Lurker

Hi all.
    HTC Desire HD on O2.
    Android 2.3.3 HTC Sense 2.1

Unrooted my HTC Desire HD and now wish to put it back to factory rom as it was when I purchased it.

Trying to update the phone back to 2.3.5 and HTC sense 3 via the phones software update facility but phone keeps hanging whilst in the process, I get a an exclamation mark and a little android on screen and have to remove battery to get phone working

Have looked at a lot of posts but most of the talk is acronyms and might as well be in another language, and makes no sense.
    I think I need a file PB99IMG.zip to put on the root of my SD card and then hboot and point the phone to this file (correct me if I'm wrong) but cant work out which is the correct file to download.

Would be grateful for some help /advice/guidance as to how to sort this out.
    If you need any more info please ask.
    Many thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Hey there bazwillrun!

Welcome to the forums - thanks for joining!!

You say you unrooted your phone... could you let us know how you rooted/unrooted?

3. bazwillrun

bazwillrun Lurker

Thanks for the welcome.

I followed a vid by XDA
    I used the Advanced Ace Hack kit from XDA developers which I downloaded to my PC and then continued the process with the phone connected via usb.

When finished I installed titanium to the phone and got rid of some of the bloatware apps.

As far as i can tell, the rooting went ok.
    I havent installed any new roms.

4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Right... if you want to unroot, you can do so using the AAHK. This would unroot and put stock HTC firmware on your phone (with none of the bloatware rubbish)... it would be as if your phone was unbranded in the first place - it is easier to leave your phone unbranded than go back to branded (as it is harder to find branded stock firmware). Do you have to go back to branded or can you live with unbranded? You would still get updates direct from HTC, so shouldn't have any problems.

5. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

6. bazwillrun

bazwillrun Lurker

Not worried about it being branded or not.
    Will have a go with your suggestions and see how I get on, and will report back
    Many thanks

7. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

No problem mate... I haven't ever unrooted, but the guide I have written was based on info from XDA and a discussion with a couple of Mods on here. Should be straight forward and is easiest to go back to unbranded.

Out of interest, are you not bothered about going down the custom ROM route?

8. bazwillrun

bazwillrun Lurker

The unroot worked perfectly and the phone updated to 2.3.5, so its now back to its factory state.

As to the custom roms, have been looking around but dont really know which one to go for, plus I wasnt that confident about installing it without bricking the phone.

If you have any recommendations I'm up for trying it

9. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

10. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Android Enthusiast

Believe me once you manage to flash to a custom rom you'll think that was easy. TBH you've got more chance (very slight though) of bricking your phone with a bad radio flash but you don't have to do that, its not compulsory requirement to use a custom rom. I've never done it and have had no ill effects by not doing so. As long as you read up about it and ask any question on want on here (don't be shy) you'll manage it. Then the worlds your oyster! Have a look on what's available rom wise and make a list and I'm sure we can advise you anyway we can.;)

D-U-R-X likes this.
  11. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Yeah... once you've flashed a couple of ROM's, you'll not believe how easy it is.

As Brutal says... if you have any questions, just ask :D

12. luvmedroid

luvmedroid Newbie

Hey, BrutalUK, I was just noting something about this quote. When I was reading the Guide on the Ace Hack Tool, it does appear that it automatically makes a decision to modify the radio. So, if one was using the Ace Hack Tool, it may have modified your radio without you even knowing. This is the bit of the ‘Ace hack tool’ that makes me a little nervous. It appears that it has to downgrade your radio to make use of an exploit to go ‘s-off’ before choosing the correct radio upgrade for your phone. Some quotes from the Ace Hack web page:
    “No ROM downgrade required (only radio/kernel)” and “Correct Radio is automatically restored for HSPA+ operation.”
    This made me a little nervous, because I remember rooting before the ‘Ace Hack days,’ and ‘radio modification’ was always touted as the bogie.
    The radio hack in the AHK might be all well and good and tried and true, but it does appear to mess with your radio.

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews