• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I get more memory free??

FUCCO

Jan 20, 2010
I am running bb froyo 2.2 and when i look at the advanced task killer app it ususally says i have about 35 megs free memory. If i kill the running apps (which is not many) it will jump to about 50 megs. I remember running bb v1.1 and having 80-90 megs free all the time. I though bb froyo was supposed to have 100 megs memory free at bootup and 50 free at all times

Also, when i look at the phone storage is says 118 megs. I believe this is based on the 256 megs of internal storage the phone has. HOwever, i moved 90% of my apps to the sd card and i only gained a few megs of space. What gives with this??

:/

Why do you want so much free memory? RAM that is empty is useless RAM in Android.

Also, if you had so much free internal storage why did you even move all that stuff to the SD Card? That's just going to make it load slower and screw up any widgets for those apps.

Agree 100%. Android does a pretty good job of juggling memory. I do have a widget set up for Advanced Task Manager that lets me kill some running apps when I want to make sure there is no lag in a couple of games, but to be honest, it really isn't necessary.

Upvote 0
well i moved the apps to the card becuase when i was looking at the internal storage it was down to 85 megs. Since the droid came with 256 megs i figured i would move them to get more room for the future. I did keep all apps that required a widget or required useage if i am connected to the computer looking at the sd card.

Upvote 0
thanks for the info... i understand the droid has 256 megs internal storage for apps. Where can i find out how much info is left for apps. Like i said i moved 90% of mine to sd card and my internal phone storage shows 118 megs. I thought it would be much higher than that

Upvote 0
thanks for the info... i understand the droid has 256 megs internal storage for apps. Where can i find out how much info is left for apps. Like i said i moved 90% of mine to sd card and my internal phone storage shows 118 megs. I thought it would be much higher than that

Settings > SD card & phone storage settings - scroll to the bottom.

Also, as I just said in my previous post, over 100mb of that 256mb of internal storage is already used up by Android OS and the system applications. That is why it only shows 118mb free.

Upvote 0
No, I'm aaaaah ... pretty sure I understand the principles here. :rolleyes:

But since you bought it up ... are you saying that a flash drive isn't a type of "memory"??? Really?

Isn't IOWA the guy that has left this site twice now??? Just trying to refresh MY "memory". :D :D :D

When "memory" is referred to by anyone who's worth their salt on a computing device, they are refering to RAM, and not a FLASH drive.

Memory and disk space are perhaps the most widely-confused terms in the computing world. To truly comprehend how your computer works, you must first understand what memory and disk space are.

The hard disk, sometimes called the "hard drive," which is actually the mechanism that holds the hard disk, is a spindle of magnetic discs that can hold several gigabytes of data. Therefore, disk space refers to how much space you have available on your hard disk for storing files. When you save a document or install a new program, it gets stored on your hard disk. The more files you download, install, or save on your hard disk, the more full it becomes.

Memory, on the other hand is not the same as disk space! Memory refers to the random access memory (RAM) inside your computer. These are small chips that hold several memory modules side by side. Your computer uses memory (RAM) to store actively running programs on the computer, including the operating system. For example, the operating system's interface and other processes get loaded into memory when the computer boots up. When you open a program like Microsoft Word, it gets loaded into the computer's memory as well. When you quit the program, the memory space is freed up for other programs

What is the difference between memory and hard disk space?

Upvote 0
How entertaining, in a double standard sorta way.
IOWA said:
I think you guys are confused. Blah-blah-blah, blah-blah blah-blah.
Da Messenger said:
Uhhhh, pretty sure that's not possible, ass-wipe. -And BTW, -yer spelling sucks, too!

pwned... (Ohhhhhh, YEAHHHHHHHHH!):cool:

Next!
(-Cheers from the crowd-)
"OH SNAP, Folks! -And it's a fantastic direct spell-check semen shot right to the side of the face of his opponent by our resident X-spurt in yet another forum circle jerk about "WhoKnowsMoreG'Damnit"!
Ladies and gentlemen our defending champion's on a roll, and this time I don't think there's gonna be any retaliation by his opponent. How anyone can come back with anything of substance after such a stunning Billy Jack to the face like that one; well, Folks, It'd be the first time I'd ever seen one.
No folks, it sure looks like he's down for the count, (Ding-Ding!! -More Cheers-) and the to the victor go the spoils of an even fluffier forum mega-ego!
Congratulations to you, our 10 times undefeated reigning champ!

Now for our next bout...."

"POP-cown! Get-cha POP-cown! PEA-nuts! Get-cha fresh roast-ed PEA-nuts...!"

Oh relax, I kid, I kid. I know, respect by default. After all, "they" did ask you to be mod.
-Twice.
It's so easy to see why they asked you.;)

Reactions: keepervq
Upvote 0
And? That doesn't prove anything. You can turn a hard drive into usable os ram too, doesn't make it memory.

Place the word "virtual" before, and M$ would disagree.

IOWA, when you were 5 years old, I was learning Windows 3. I've forgotten more than you know about "computing devices". But keep typing. You rock! :cool:

And how's that lame Moment doing? Running Froyo yet? :D

I'm out...
Buh Bye

Upvote 0
Place the word "virtual" before, and M$ would disagree.

IOWA, when you were 5 years old, I was learning Windows 3. I've forgotten more than you know about "computing devices". But keep typing. You rock! :cool:

And how's that lame Moment doing? Running Froyo yet? :D

I'm out...
Buh Bye

Lol serious homeslice? Just because your old doesn't give you any kind of wisdom or intelligence... So don't play that card, doesn't work.

I highly doubt you've "I've forgotten more than you know about "computing devices".

And technically, phone's don't have internal "storage", although new technologies are allowing fast/read write of ROM/RAM, using at as a storage medium, and this is also what SSD's use. This process is known as emulation as a hard drive. This doesn't make it storage, it just functions as one. Kind of contradictory I know, but heh.

I know I'm getting very technical here, but hey, it is what it is.

Read-only memory (usually known by its acronym, ROM) is a class of storage media used in computers and other electronic devices. Because data stored in ROM cannot be modified (at least not very quickly or easily), it is mainly used to distribute firmware (software that is very closely tied to specific hardware, and unlikely to require frequent updates)
In its strictest sense, ROM refers only to mask ROM (the oldest type of solid state ROM), which is fabricated with the desired data permanently stored in it, and thus can never be modified. However, more modern types such as EPROM and flash EEPROM can be erased and re-programmed multiple times; they are still described as "read-only memory"(ROM) because the reprogramming process is generally infrequent, comparatively slow, and often does not permit random access writes to individual memory locations. Despite the simplicity of mask ROM, economies of scale and field-programmability often make reprogrammable technologies more flexible and inexpensive, so mask ROM is rarely used in new products as of 2007.

Flash memory is a non-volatile computer storage technology that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed. It is primarily used in memory cards, USB flash drives, and solid-state drives for general storage and transfer of data between computers and other digital products. It is a specific type of EEPROM (electrically-erasable programmable read-only memory) that is erased and programmed in large blocks; in early flash the entire chip had to be erased at once. Flash memory costs far less than byte-programmable EEPROM and therefore has become the dominant technology wherever a significant amount of non-volatile, solid state storage is needed. Example applications include PDAs (personal digital assistants), laptop computers, digital audio players, digital cameras and mobile phones. It has also gained popularity in console video game hardware, where it is often used instead of EEPROMs or battery-powered static RAM (SRAM) for game save data.
Since flash memory is non-volatile, no power is needed to maintain the information stored in the chip. In addition, flash memory offers fast read access times (although not as fast as volatile DRAM memory used for main memory in PCs) and better kinetic shock resistance than hard disks. These characteristics explain the popularity of flash memory in portable devices. Another feature of flash memory is that when packaged in a "memory card," it is extremely durable, being able to withstand intense pressure, extremes of temperature, and even immersion in water.
Although technically a type of EEPROM, the term "EEPROM" is generally used to refer specifically to non-flash EEPROM which is erasable in small blocks, typically bytes. Because erase cycles are slow, the large block sizes used in flash memory erasing give it a significant speed advantage over old-style EEPROM when writing large amounts of data

RAM =/= Storage.

And yes with newer technologies you can use the same hardware for either or, but they can't be both at the same time. o.o (Unless theres some kind of new partitioning I don't know about, which in this category is possible. Hmm research time.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones