• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I get my DVD's onto my phone??

Well, Google is your friend, but I'll help you just this once.

First, it depends on what phone you have. But there are 2 steps: ripping and converting.

To rip your movies, I would recomment DVD Decrypter. Go to Mode-ISO-Read, click where to save the file, then hit go. There are a FEW DVD's that wont work with that, so use DVD FAB Decrypter. Make sure to rip the movie 1:1, ie dont compress it here.

To compress the movie, I recommend Handbrake. It's a little harder to learn at first, but allows GREAT control over quality, bitrate, and all kinds of other settings. Now, I cant tell you how to use this one yet til I know what phone you have.

Upvote 0
With Ubuntu I use dvdRip to rip and transcode the DVD into an avi which is a lengthy process, then I convert the avi to .3gp with the following command:

ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -s qcif -vcodec h263 -acodec libfaac -ac 1 -ar 32000 -r 25 -ab 32 -y outputfile.3gp

simply replace the 'inputfile.avi' and 'outputfile.3gp' with the file names you want.

The options in the command are the best compromise for file size, video quality, and viewing (I tested with an skypephone which struggled with higher quality video).
Expect a 800Mb avi to crunch down to around 100-170Mb as a 3gp.

You will need to install the libfaac codecs, but google is your friend for finding out how to do that for what ever version of Ubuntu you are using.

Hope this helps.

p.s.isohunt have some good .3gp films!

Upvote 0
Depends on what you want as your final outcome. If you are looking to just get the movies to your phone, then I suggest Catalyst 3. Hands down the best i have used to transfer a movie straight to phone. It has many phones profile already programed into it. just selct phone and movie, and away you go. www.tools4movies.com

Looking to create back up copies I would suggest dvdFab myself. Has been a work horse fore me.

Upvote 0
I'm using a mytouch slide. I rip the dvds to an iso using dvd shrink and then used dvd catalyst free and set it to the ipod classic setting. Worked perfectly. Ripped it to mp4 and I was able to watch it using the standard player. No other player download was necessary.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Upvote 0
DVD Catalyst 3. It daes everything in one step. I was so impressed I bought it. I now have 10 full length movies on my X and every one is under 1gb, closer to half that. There are a llot of settings for different phones, and video settings and audio settings.

Same here, I think I paid $20 for it back then, but it's only $10 now. You can a;ways try the free version first.

Upvote 0
is there a free program i can download so i can download my dvds to my computer and then put it on a sandisk card so i can watch the dvd on my phone. my computer uses vista 64bit sistem pleas can some one help.and is there a free program i can download so i can watch the vidos i took with my phone and put them on the sandisk card and dowloaded on my computer i cant seme to get them to play on the computer.

Upvote 0
is there a free program i can download so i can download my dvds to my computer and then put it on a sandisk card so i can watch the dvd on my phone. my computer uses vista 64bit sistem pleas can some one help.

Did you read my post, the second one in this thread? I explain how to do it, with free software.

and is there a free program i can download so i can watch the vidos i took with my phone and put them on the sandisk card and dowloaded on my computer i cant seme to get them to play on the computer.

You dont need a program. Just hook the phone to the computer as a disk drive, then open the DCIM folder where all your videos and pictures are stored. Copy them to your computer, then open them. They will most likely open with Media Player, which obviously is free.

Upvote 0
In the first few post-iPhone launch days, there seems to be a bit of an epidemic. Many technology sites, particularly the iPhone dedicated sites, don't seem to be able to get out of pre-launch mode. I thought I'd give it a shot. Instead of moving with the herd, and throwing up 15 posts today about what my iPhone looks like out of the box, or what some other guy's iPhone looks like in it's dock, or maybe what it looks like when I run down the street with my iPhone in it's bag - I thought I'd try to write something that might actually be useful to those of you who are now at home with your iPhones

Upvote 0
In the first few post-iPhone launch days, there seems to be a bit of an epidemic. Many technology sites, particularly the iPhone dedicated sites, don't seem to be able to get out of pre-launch mode. I thought I'd give it a shot. Instead of moving with the herd, and throwing up 15 posts today about what my iPhone looks like out of the box, or what some other guy's iPhone looks like in it's dock, or maybe what it looks like when I run down the street with my iPhone in it's bag - I thought I'd try to write something that might actually be useful to those of you who are now at home with your iPhones

I am confused, what is the point of this post? Seriously.

Upvote 0
Anyone know the optimal settings/raitos to best fit the Epic 4g screen?

A quick google search found the resolution is 800x480, like most other android phones. The settings should be the same, mp4 container with an h264 baseline codec. I usually make my bitrate between 2000-3500. You can just convert a couple minutes of a movie to test the bitrate and file size before you convert the whole thing.

Upvote 0
Wow. I just downloaded the trial version of Catalyst 3+ and used it on a DVD. Copied the movie to my phone and it looks awesome! I'm going to buy it. It's so simple, even I could do it. :)

I've got to agree, just tried catalyst 4 (trial) on my Samsung Apollo 3 and it worked like a dream. If a 'techno virgin ' like myself can do it,anyone can:D

Regards

Miss Diva

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones