1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I get wallpaper to look sharp

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by William H, Feb 8, 2011.

1. William H

William H Lurker

Hi, I have a picture I would like to make my wallpaper, I just used photoshop and I have the picture at 960 x 800, it looks great when I view it in the gallery on my phone, but when I make it the wallpaper it looks like crap. :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Attach the picture here. Maybe something will become obvious by looking at it.

Also, make sure you're not cropping a subset of it when selecting it. Drag the select rectangle all the way out so that it encompasses the entire image.

There is some info in the Captivate FAQ:
    Customization - CapFAQ

3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

i have this problem to when trying to use wonderful looking pics i take with my phone but magically turn to crap when i use them as wallpaper.

As for the cropping rectangle that appears when you select an image for use with wallpaper, that rectangle never encompasses the entire image. at least it never does on my phone

4. ndoran

ndoran Newbie

By default, that rectangle will only encompass between 1/2 and 2/3 of the image, but you can drag a corner of it in order to make it fit the whole image...then you should see your native image as a background...hope this helps

5. 2manyPHONES

no matter how i try to drag the rectangle across the image it never encompasses the whole image. when i go to the picture i want to use and then set as, that little rectangle that appears never goes over the whole image.

now if i go to the image and go to crop than that gives me the option to encompass the whole image but not set it as the background.

6. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Member

The pictures from the camera are a different aspect ratio than what a background image is, so it's not possible to get the whole image.

7. 2manyPHONES

Well that's just evil.

8. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Not really. By default the Captivate has a sliding background. This is covered in the Captivate FAQ page already linked earlier. So it's a necessity for that to work.

If you don't want a sliding background, you can use the free LauncherPro launcher instead and turn this off. Then you can used a fixed background that matches the camera's AR (while also getting numerous other nice new features and options).

9. 2manyPHONES

Yeah I have launcher pro can't really remember why I stooped using it but have been using stock UI for the last month or so and noticed that when ever I tried to use a pic I took it looked like crap (only with pics I took with the phone any pics I took using my regular camera I stored on my card looks fine) eh guess its back to launcher pro

10. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Wallpaper Set and Save can help make wallpapers look as they should. Usually works best when the image is in the correct aspect ratio or the size is 960x800. Otherwise it'll just try to fit which ever dimension is closest.

11. angryphoton

angryphoton Newbie

I use MultiPicture Live Wallpaper app, seems to do a good job.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews