• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I go about putting movies on a microsd card for my phone?

Jaredd

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
I was curious as to how I would do this. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to different file formats and transferring things.

Specifically I need help on what type of file formats the movies should be in (I haven't yet put them on my computer.), how to put them on the microsd card, and how to access them on my phone.

It's a 8GB microsd card and the phone is a Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket if that matters. Any help is appreciated! :)

I was curious as to how I would do this. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to different file formats and transferring things.

Specifically I need help on what type of file formats the movies should be in (I haven't yet put them on my computer.), how to put them on the microsd card, and how to access them on my phone.

It's a 8GB microsd card and the phone is a Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket if that matters. Any help is appreciated! :)

i have used handbrake to convert dvd's into other formats before. here is the guide i have used before as well:Handbrake Tutorial - How to Rip DVD and Convert Video with Handbrake on Windows PC

and as far as transfering the movies.........connect your phone to the pc via usb. there should be an option to use the phone as usb storage(sorry i do not have this phone, so i can't be too specific). a window should pop up on your pc. move the file over to the sd card. your phone should be able to see it. just either use a file manager to open it or use whatever video app you want to view it. i think even google's play movies should be able to see it.

Upvote 0
I use DVD catalyst for movie converting on my pc. It has preset formats for specific phones or Android in general. Then I use MX player to play them but that might not be a necessity.

As for transferring, most of the time I just take out my sd card from my phone and plug it directly to my computer. It's a habit of mine because I'm so use to it.

Btw- I'm gonna move this to the Android media sub forum. I hope that's ok. If not, let me know and I'll move it back. I'll send you a PM with the new location.

Have a good one!

Upvote 0
After your movies are converted, you can also move them by popping your USB card into an adapter (many of the microSD cards come with adapters that are the size of a standard SD card). If you have an SD card reader on your computer (most computers today have these), just placed the card in the reader and drag the movies to the desired location.

Upvote 0

Your phone is capable of playing H264 MP4 video files, with AAC audio using the build-in Gallery app. For other formats such as MKV, AVI etc, you will need to use a player from the Play Store, such as Dice, MX, Rock etc.

You can use a card-reader to copy movies from your computer to your memorycard, which will work the same way as you would copy files to a USB stick, or, you can connect your phone (with the card in it) to your computer with the USB cable, and it should show up in "My Computer" as a media device.

If you select it there, it should show the internal memory location, as well as the memorycard, and you can just drag and drop your videos over to it.

On your phone, either use the Gallery app, which will find your movies, or use a file-browser such as Astro/ES File Explorer to browse your phone's files and folders, and from there, just tap on them to play them.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones