1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I hide files (pics and music) from gallery, but Droid have access?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by athflying, Jan 6, 2010.

1. athflying

athflying Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of icons downloaded with My Maps and I have lots of custom ringtones. How can I hide these from the gallery, but still make them available for system use?? If I use the .anyfilenamehere trick, it hides them, but then I can't use the ringtones for contacts because they pretty much disappear from EVERYTHING.

2. CyBuzz

CyBuzz Newbie

if I recall, put a file in the root directory you want to hide and call it .nomedia

username27 likes this.
  3. athflying

I did that but then it seems hidden from system use as well.

4. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

You have to have Astro File Manager for the .filename/.foldername to work. Other FM's may do it also, but Astro is what I use.

5. athflying

Ok, the problem is I can hide them from the gallery but then that particular file can not be used by my phone. For instance, I have a custom ringtone set for a contact and it works fine but as soon as I hide it using the .nomedia trick, it no longer works as a ringtone. How can I use files but keep them hidden from the gallery.

6. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

From my understanding no, you can't use the .name to hide and allow the OS to use the file.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews