• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I import phone numbers from my old AT&T GoPhone to my new Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V?

I'm not even sure you can....

AT&T is a GSM network that uses SIM cards.

VM is a CDMA network (Sprint) that does not use SIM cards.

Contacts and phone numbers on an ATT phone usually reside on the SIM card or the phone memory.

I am a smartphone newbie. How do I import phone numbers from my old AT&T GoPhone to my new Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V phone? Thanks!

Reactions: JohannFu
Upvote 0
My AT&T GoPhone was able to use my gmail. Here's what I found. If I make sure that in my gmail contacts list (on my PC), I entered not just the email address but also the phone number of each contact, then when I connect my Optimus V to my PC, the gmail contacts (both gmail address AND telephone number) get synced to the Optimus V. Hallelujia! What a relief that I don't have to type in all those numbers into my Optimus! Will wonders never cease?

Upvote 0
Cool. Gmail import is definitely the way to go. I came to Android from a T-Mobile not-smartphone and though I couldn't export anything from the phone, T-Mobile online had a backup feature that would display my contacts in a web page. I copy/pasted the page and massaged it a little to import into Gmail and it's synced to two Droid phones since then without a hitch :)

Upvote 0
Gmail contacts are pretty cool in general. E.g., you can archive less important contacts in your Gmail account without them cluttering up the phone simply by taking them out of the My Contacts group.

Let's say you have a list of favorite take-out places in your college town and another one for when you're at home. So why should the Best Pizza contact from your college half a continent away be stuck in your phone all summer long? Stupid, right? In Gmail, you can simply add all your college contacts to a College group and it will literally take 4 clicks to remove them all from your phone for the summer (and another 4 clicks to add 'em back in the fall).

Or you could do this for different departments at work that you only deal with at certain times or those pesky relatives you only care to talk to at Thanksgiving and Christmas or

Upvote 0
My AT&T GoPhone was able to use my gmail. Here's what I found. If I make sure that in my gmail contacts list (on my PC), I entered not just the email address but also the phone number of each contact, then when I connect my Optimus V to my PC, the gmail contacts (both gmail address AND telephone number) get synced to the Optimus V. Hallelujia! What a relief that I don't have to type in all those numbers into my Optimus! Will wonders never cease?

(You may already know this, but) The address book between your phone and your Gmail account works both directions. If you update a contact in your phone, then the information will automatically update in your G-Mail account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones