1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How do i install a ROM from recovery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hank775, Apr 4, 2011.

1. hank775

hank775 Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    I have used Rom Manager a few times to try a few different roms. Then i began to see a lot of things about how Rom Manager is no good. My questions are when you use rom manager to back up existing rom, is that a nandroid backup? and how do you install from recovery? (say from a .zip file)

Advertisement

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Yes, it's a Nandroid when you backup from Rom Manager but I recommend you do everything directly from recovery including making backups. I don't even like entering recovery from Rom Manager anymore. My Rom has a reboot to recovery option and that's what I use.

But to answer your question, once in Clockwork it's typically best to wipe the works before installing a Rom. Here's my typical regimen once in CWM:

1.) Wipe data/factory reset
    2.) Wipe cache partition
    3.) Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache
    4.) Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card > Locate zip and load

Remember that in CWM, the trackpad button selects an item, the power button brings you back one menu. This differs from hboot where the power button selects and is confusing to newbs. Follow your instincts and use CWM for everything.

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Edit: iowa beat me to it.

4. hank775

hank775 Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    thank you

5. kenn

kenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    I just did this last night to install CM7 RC4. I had all sorts of trouble with Rom Manager giving me error messages and decided I didn't want to risk bricking my phone so I am backing up and restoring exclusively with CWM and it has worked flawlessly so far... His writeup here is spot-on.

6. mach1man

mach1man Android Expert
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    woods of VA
    dont want to highjack your thread but i too need help installing a rom. I do have rom manager (free). I want to install warm z twopointtwo, so I downloaded it from xda. I installed it onto the root of my sd card.

This is the first time I have rooted a phone. I used rom manager it to launch recovery. I cleared data and cache. I went to install zip from sd card. I click it and this is what it gives me. Please help.

Im getting. Amend scripting is no longer supported. amend scripting was deprecated by google in android 1.5. it was necessary to remove it when upgrading to clockworkmod 3.0 gingerbread based recovery, please switch to edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages

7. KrisPeezy

KrisPeezy Member
    None

May 9, 2010
    mach1man i would go into rom manager and update CWM from there. It is likely that you have an older version of CWM 2.5.x.x

1.) open rom manager
    2.) Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
    3.) verify that your recovery is now 3.0.0.x
    4.) reboot into recovery and wipe and flash.

I believe you can also flash a new recovery through hboot as well, download the file, rename PB31IMG.zip it will check the file and ask if you want to update recovery.

Only problem is people do not like CWM 3.x.x.x because it doesn't completely wipe data... so when you upgrade make sure to wipe multiple times before you actually flash