1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How Do I Install Custom/Different ROMs?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Killmaster, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Killmaster

Killmaster Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2011
    Eagle River, AK
    Here are my stats:
    Model: SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 (Captivate)
    Firmware: 2.1-update1
    Baseband: I897UCJF6
    Kernel: 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11# 2
    Build number: ECLAIR
    *Rooted*
    I don't knut how much of that is important, I just went for the stuff with the most numbers.

I was an iPhone owner up until recently and had that jailbroken and had all the fun with that as I could. Now I have a Captivate and noticed rooting it isn't nearly as fun as jailbreaking. I tried installing a custom ROM, but just ended up hard bricking my phone. I need someone to tell me how to properly install new ROMs (I rooted my phone without a USB cord/computer and hope their is a way to install ROMs without those things as well) I've read a bunch of other threads and they were all just really confusing so I hope someone can explain how to, in easy instructional format, do it to an "Android Noob."

Also: What's the best ROM for my phone, and is there a way to get Java so I can play Runescape or anything like that?

Advertisement

2. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Have you checked the rooting/custom ROM subforum for your device (or the closest forum if there isn't one)?

3. davep13

davep13 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    Texas
    I'm not sure you can install custom ROMs without a computer or USB. You have to be connected to a computer to use ODIN to flash bootloaders and kernels to your phone. Actually flashing the ROM does not require a computer since this is done thru recovery mode.

Just wondering, what process did you go through exactly when you hard-bricked your phone?

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    you can technically install custom roms without a computer but it is not recommended as you can brick at about anytime. but what rom did you try to flash? if it was one that needed the gingerbread bootloaders and you didnt have them it couldve been your problem