• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how do i know if i have this "stagefright" thing????

teh_dude

Android Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2011
Arlington/Denton, TX
here and there throughout the world of Android 2.2, I keep seeing stuff about this "stagefright" business. I've seen tidbits that suggest it lets you use things like the Pandora app, etc., but it's still not clear to me. How do I know if I have "stagefright"? (Spare me the puns...lol) It doesn't sound like a standalone app...

Stagefright is a mod for video acceleration. Because it didn't help much and in some cases made things worse, none of the ROMs for the M use it. One of the earliest 2.2 threads has instructions on how to install it if you're really curious. I think it was the original 2.2 OC thread.

I did find 6 library files with stagefright in the name, but nothing else...?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
a late-in-the-game note: provided by a rather unsavory fellow in my Quadrant score thread, enabling stagefright by flashing that zip (just replaces the local.prop file in /data) pretty much doubles the quadrant scores on these phones. This is why I was getting high scores back before joneidy's latest sense update, why i lost the high scores after the update, and why i now have them back again after flashing that zip again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones