1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I know if my Android phone uses 2D (only using front facing camera) or 3D face unlock?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by varamilc, May 23, 2020.

1. varamilc

varamilc Newbie

How do I know if my Android phone uses 2D (only using front facing camera) or 3D face unlock (using special and specific hardware instead of only the front camera)?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

it will depend on the phone and its specs. what phone do you have?

mikedt likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

the only phone that i can find with 3d face unlock is the samsung galaxy s10+ 5g....mainly becuase it is the only phone with the ToF camera in the front. my note 10+5g has the ToF camera in the back so it cannot be used as a 3D facial unlocking mechanism. it can be unlocked, but it is only 2d which is why i do not use it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s10-5g-finally-has-3d-face-unlock-iphones

#3 ocnbrze, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Actually the Pixel 4 series had front ToF sensors for face id about 6 months before the s20.

But the simplest test is probably to look at the front of the phone: if there's nothing but a single camera there it cannot do 3D (if there are two cameras or other sensors it might be capable of 3D, but most phones with such hardware still only do 2D).

ocnbrze and mikedt like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

See if you can unlock your phone by showing it a photo of yourself. And if it unlocks, then it's 2D image recognition only.

ocnbrze and Hadron like this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Is this still the G7 Play that you were asking similar questions about a few months ago? If so I'm pretty certain that the answer will be no.