1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I make an HPSlate Teen Useable - Teen Safe

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Bowling Bob, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Bowling Bob

Bowling Bob Lurker

I bought an HP Slate for my 12 yr old gdaughter visiting from out of state this Christmas. She will take it back home after Christmas.

SitRep: GDaughter's Mom is not tech smart. I also do not expect mom to be very proactive in monitoring useage. So.. I want to make the Slate very useable for learning, limited games and fun research. It must also be VERY kid-safe. I realize, regrettably, I may be limited to software that requires Mom to vet/whitelist any new software that Gdaughter wants to add down the road. If so, I (UncleGrandpaSantaDad) will attempt to teach Mom how to supervise and manage the Slate without killing it -- after I implement your best suggestions.

Goal is to preload the select software, cool links and make system changes before I wrap it up and put it under the tree for her.

I hoped to find multiple articles & guides already posted with highly recommended software & step by step instructions to adjust system settings as needed. A template. My searches found nothing (outside of locking a toddler out system settings) for this NOT-out-of-the-ordinary seamingly simple task. After all, there are many dedicated articles posted to do just that for a PC. If it is out there, I cannot find it. So far, the only things I have found for Android OS is for toddlers and make the tablet nearly useless. Please help!

Thanks,
    Bowling Bob

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Bowling Bob and funkylogik like this.
  3. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast

K9 Web Protect makes an android web browser based on firefox that has it's excellent content filtering and protection built in -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bluecoat.k9.android

I used k9 web protect (desktop version) on my home computers when the kids were younger, never cost me anything and the protection is top notch.

Bowling Bob and funkylogik like this.
  4. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast

and welcome to Android Forums!

Bowling Bob likes this.
  5. Bowling Bob

Bowling Bob Lurker

Thank you all for your responses. After I complete the setup on this HP Slate from yours and other sources, I will develop a template and post. Speaking of which, anyone find a step by step setup template covering mine or similar requirements? I hate re-creating the wheel. Plagiarism is good -- credit always.

Sincerely,
    Bowling Bob

6. Bowling Bob

Bowling Bob Lurker

Hi Digital Controller,

Thank you for your reply. I found that article just before I discovered this awesome forum. Good info. Interesting comments by viewers on that page. THANKS!!!

7. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Anytime, I am glad we could assist you with the question you asked :)

Feel free to come back to us anytime you have anymore questions.

8. Bowling Bob

Bowling Bob Lurker

Still looking for additional solutions / options to help complete this task. Anyone else want to chip in?

Thanks again,
    Bowling Bob

9. pdqgp

pdqgp Well-Known Member

^^ this