1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I move apps to my SD card

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Shawn200110, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Shawn200110

Shawn200110 Lurker

I just bought a microsd from RadioShack and put it in my RCA Voyager 8gb tab!et. I've been searching for hours trying to figure out how to move stuff to my SD card. I'm using android 5.0. Thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

First things first: go into Settings > Apps, select a downloaded app (not a pre-installed one) and is there a "move to SD" button? If there is, you have the option built into the OS. Not all apps allow it, so if the button is greyed out try another app because you can't move that one.

Do note that only part of the app is moved, and app data remain in internal storage. Also apps that need to run at startup (e.g. any widget you are using) should not be moved to SD, as they will not start properly on the next reboot.

If you don't have that button, then your OS doesn't support moving the SD. Many don't, since that option was deprecated in 4.0. The devices that allow it only do so because the manufacturer added it back, so this depends entirely on what tablet you have (and I've no idea for that particular tablet).

If you don't have the option then it might be possible if you root the device - methods are device-specific - then use an app called Link2SD. That will also allow you to use a different method that doesn't have some of the drawbacks of the "standard" one (e.g. widgets can be moved if you partition the SD card and move the app to the partition, rather than the normal way of doing it). Without root you cannot move apps to SD unless the device already supports it.

3. glc

glc Android Enthusiast

Check settings->storage for default storage location setting.