• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how do i move programs onto my SDcard

Marius69

Lurker
Apr 7, 2016
i just bought a 32GB SDcard hoping to free up some space on my tab. i cant find any way to move the things i want. on my phone i could move facebook, messenger, and a few games but i cant figure out how to move them on the tab. i thought going to apps there would be a move to sd option but it wasnt there.. i did see in another forum post that there is a file manager program and mine is called WPS Office(i dont know it came with the device) but i cant find the programs i want to move from there and i dont want to screw anything up.

If your tablet has the option then you will have a "move to SD" button when you select an app in the app manager (Settings > Apps > Downloaded then select an app). But that option was deprecated in Android 4.0. Some manufacturers have added it back to some of their devices, but if yours did not then you do not have that option (unless you root the device, partition the SD card and then use a script of Link2SD to move apps to the partition).

Don't bother trying to do this with a file explorer. You'd need root to see the installed app files anyway (they will be in /data/app), but if you simply move the apps, or parts of them, to somewhere else all that happens is that the device cannot find them any more so the apps won't work. You need to not only move the files but create symbolic links so that the OS can still find the files in their new locations (which is what the root options I mentioned in the previous paragraph do).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones