1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I partition an sd card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ZepTepi, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ZepTepi

ZepTepi Android Enthusiast

Can someone please give me or point me in the direction of instructions on how to replace and partition a new sd card for an Evo 4g? I have been running low on space and have had to slowly delete apps over the last couple of months. I finally bought a 16GB class 10 micro SD card but I'm not sure how to partition it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark in San Diego

Secondary question...Do you have any recommendations as to the best partition sizes to use? I plan to root my phone once I get thew new sd card situated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

ZepTepi and dustwun77 like this.
  3. ZepTepi

Thank You Rxpert83.

So is it safe to assume that partitions can only be done once rooted?

If so I'll move on to backing up my phone and attempting to root it. I've been reading as much about rooting as possible and I feel like it won't be an issue but I still have to figure out the best way to back everything up. I thought I could easily do that with HTC Sync but I'm having issues getting it to recognize my phone. Any tips in that regard?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)

If you have a card reader you can take the card out of your phone and do it directly.

5. ZepTepi

I hadn't thought of that, Doh, I think I do have one somewhere. I'll give that a try though I am still curious as to why HTC Sync doesn't recognize my phone.

dustwun77 and Rxpert83 like this.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

If you pull out your battery, put it back in, and hold volume down + power this will bring you to your hboot screen. If you tell us your hboot we can point you to the correct step by step rooting guide.

And sorry for assuming you were already rooted. You do need to have the phone rooted to partition.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

ZepTepi likes this.
  7. ZepTepi

My hboot is 2.18.0001

8. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

HTC Sync sux many people have had many problems with it. If you want to use a better alternative I can recommend a couple of programs.

1 is MyPhoneExplorer You need both the client and the desktop version Its a really good program and much better than HTC Sync

2. is AirDroid This uses your web browser and wifi connections its good program as well. Both are better alternatives to HTC Sync

I mostly use AirDroid only because I'm on a Linux machine most of the time and have no way to run Window Programs. I don't use Windows Emulators.

For your purposes though MyPhoneExplorer maybe the better choice anyway check them out and you can decide :D

ocnbrze and ZepTepi like this.
  9. hove131

hove131 Well-Known Member

It is important to know your card size and i can not stress enough ... save your sd card contents to your PC first !!!

ocnbrze, ZepTepi and argedion like this.
  10. ZepTepi

Thanks. I'll check them out. :)

11. ZepTepi

I'm going from the 8gb card to a 16mb Class 10 card and I have no plans to touch the current card until I'm fully backed up.

Thanks for the 411.

ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  12. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Thank you for the information. If you have not already seen it your rooting guide is here:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

You can either use HTC dev to unlock the bootloader (from here on your rooted) and then do captn throwbacks guide to downgrade your hboot to get a true S-off and no watermark

Or

You can use tacoroot to downgrade your hboot and then get true s-off.

ocnbrze and ZepTepi like this.
  13. ZepTepi

Thank You very much. I'll put some thought towards which way to go.

14. ZepTepi

I'm close to being ready to root my phone so can someone point me in the direction of some instructions on how to partition my new sd card once I achieve root for my Evo 4G?

Thank You

15. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Hey there! I'm on my phone right now so I can't link but check out the sticky at the top of this forum and go to the rooting for dummies gingerbread guide. In the life after root section there's step by step directions for partioning your card.

16. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yep,
    it can be found here:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

just go to the partitioning section for instructions. also there is a ton more info in there as well that you should read.

ZepTepi likes this.
  17. ZepTepi

18. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

It has cm baked in

ZepTepi likes this.
  19. ZepTepi

Great. One less step I need to focus on. TY Rxpert.

Rxpert83 likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews