• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I prevent apps from automatically starting up?

PezDex

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
I have a Galaxy s2 Epic 4g from Sprint.

I hate the new 4.0.4 icecream SUCKwich update because it runs crappy, crashes, drains my battery GREATLY, etc. Sprint told me to do a factory reset to make it run better, so I'm going to. Im also going to root my phone afterwards so i can get rid of the stupid programs like MediaHub, SocialHub, Email(i dont use email on my phone, and i dont want it starting itself up) and Exchange Services(once again, another uneeded email service). Even Maps automatically starts itself up. IF I WANT TO USE MAPS THEN I'LL START IT MYSELF. so heres what im wondering:

1. What is the best rooting method?
2. How do i completely remove mediahub, social hub, email, exchange services, after ive rooted it?
3. how do i access the startup programs so i can decided which i want to start up and which i dont? Will rooting my phone allow me to prevent these automatic programs from starting themselves in the background?

NOTE: Im hoping the factory reset will get rid of a lot of the buggyness ive been experiencing, but if not, then ill go through the process of downgrading to the previous OS. and YES im fully aware that rooting my phone voids warranty. I dont care. Why have a phone at all if it does nothing but piss me off?

Moved to a more appropriate location.

The data reset should indeed fix you up. My wife's Epic was awful after the update, but a reset fixed it right up. As for removing the cruft? Easiest way is after rooting to pick a rom that already has all that stuff removed. I can't make any suggestions, but hopefully others here will chime in! Good luck!

Upvote 0
i guess im a noob when it comes to the lingo. and i know absolutely nothing about rooting.

"removing the cruft"? and what is this about "ROMs"?

Can anyone maybe post a good how-to youtube video for rooting my phone? id like to do it the best way.

EDIT: this is the video that im going off of. if this is a bad way please let me know. if its fine, also let me know.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjncd6RcYss

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones