• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I relocate an app to the main screen?

You should just be able to long-press on the app in the app drawer, and drag it to the desired position on the home screen.

works on any of the Launchers I have tried on all of my Samsung phones, 'S', 'S5', 'Note 4'

Also, on all of them, you can move it from one Home Screen to a different home screen.
  • Long Press
  • Slide to an edge, then slide up/dn until the next screen appears
  • Position where you want it, release

I have Nova Prime Launcher, and with it, I have the Home Screens locked so that things don't move, or disappear inadvertently. In those cases,
Long Press
  • Menu from Nova comes up, advises to Long Press again, then that goes away.
  • Be quick, and move the icon as described.
Even with the Screen Locker in effect, you can move multiple icons if you are reasonably quick.... leave it alone for 5 or 6 seconds and it locks again. Personally, I like it that way.

Upvote 0

looks like there is no room for more apps on my home screen, so must I delete an app
to make room for the Waze app? if so, how do I do that?
I’m guessing the app drawer is the long scrollable list of app names displayed after touching
‘’more apps’’.

I have thus far unsuccessfully experimented with ‘’long-pressing’’ [I guess that means ‘’press and hold’’]
on the Waze app and trying to have it pop up on another screen. I will continue to experiment and google
for help in addition to your help [which, by the way, has been great and is much appreciated].

re: ‘’you can move it from one Home Screen to a different home screen’’ … holy #@%^*! you mean I can have
multiple home screens? this is getting coplicateder and complicateder!

re: ‘‘Nova Prime Launcher’’ … you guys are killing me – just kidding, please send any and all info.

this is my first cell phone - a christmas present meant to drag me into the 21st century. I'm 84 years old
with decades of engineering and programming experience. but obviously no cell phone exposure.

Upvote 0
A launcher is just an app that controls your home screens and the app drawer. Nothing complicated. It's what you see when you unlock the lock screen. In general, you can replace your home screen (launcher) if you want more/different options or a different look. But it sounds to me like you don't and that's ok.

With every launcher you can have multiple screens. The main (home) screen and additional screens if you need more room for apps or widgets. I will have to let someone who is familiar with Samsung explain how you add additional screens on a Samsung.

Edit: By the way, congratulations on getting a smartphone. It should give you a lot of fun just learning about it and what it can do. Samsungs are good phones (so I am told).

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Launchers are just various homescreen replacements. For example, Apex and Nova launchers allow you to adjust the number of columns and rows of homescreen icons, as well as reducing the size of the icons so you can get more on a screen without having it look bunched up. You can also add more permanent icons to the tray at the bottom of the screen.

To remove an app icon you rarely use and replace it with Waze, simply long-press the undesired app icon and swipe up when prompted to remove it from the homescreen. This does NOT delete the app from your phone - it merely deletes the shortcut on the homescreen. Then, open your app drawer, long-press Waze and move it to the homescreen. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
an android support person moved the waze icon to the main page for me. so that problem
is solved.

now my problem is that, when at home, I can set a destination several miles from home and
the waze gps app works flawlessly.

however, when I am at the distant destination and I try to set my home as the destination,
the app goes into eternal search mode [maybe looking for map info for a route?]. tracfone
says I do have voice & data internet service. the problem is waze app specific but I submit
this on the chance that someone will have some advice.

Upvote 0
an android support person moved the waze icon to the main page for me. so that problem
is solved.

now my problem is that, when at home, I can set a destination several miles from home and
the waze gps app works flawlessly.

however, when I am at the distant destination and I try to set my home as the destination,
the app goes into eternal search mode [maybe looking for map info for a route?]. tracfone
says I do have voice & data internet service. the problem is waze app specific but I submit
this on the chance that someone will have some advice.
May I suggest starting a new thread:
As your latest question is unrelated to this threads topic/title,those that may be of help have no idea this question/issue exists for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones