• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I remove certain apps from my phone completely & from my Google Play Apps list?

Paul82

Lurker
Sep 13, 2015
Hi, I have a HTC One M8, can someone please tell me how do I remove certain apps from my phone completely & from my Google Play Apps list so they don't keep updating & reinstalling them selves on my phone all the time??

The app's I want to never see again are; Fitbit, Zoodles kid mode, Skype & Twitter.

In the past I installed these apps, but now I cant seem to get rid of them!

In my Google Play apps list, some apps I had installed in the past have an X on them, which I can remove from my apps list. But these 4 do not & every time there is an app update, they reinstall them selves back on my phone & its very annoying! Especially the Zoodles Kid Mode!!

Thanks for your help!
Paul.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-14-09-36-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-14-09-36-21.png
    244 KB · Views: 52
To actually remove them from your phone you'll have to "Root" it, they're backed into the operating system. You could turn them off so to speak by using settings , scrolling down to apps, going to each app, and tapping on disable.

To turn off auto-updates open the Play Store, tap on the hamburger bar on the left, tap on settings, then uncheck Auto-update apps.

Upvote 0
If you want to remove already installed apps, there is no other way of removing than rooting your phone first and then uninstalling them. If you don't want to root, yet don't want to see those apps then you can disable those, but that is not same as uninstalling them. You won't see them but they will still be on the phone.

Removing apps from Play Store. On your phone, go to Play Store -> My Apps -> All apps. Scroll down and when you come across the app you want to remove, tap X on right top of that app. Its gone from Play Store list for good.

Upvote 0
Are they pre-installed, or did you install them? Pre-installed apps can usually be disabled: if you do that, uninstall updates and clear data for the app that is in practice as good as uninstalling.As has been said, these cannot be uninstalled without root.

There should be no reason you can't uninstall them if you actually installed them in the first place, i.e. if they appear on the device in Settings> Apps > Downloaded.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I think the OP is not referring to uninstallable apps, but to apps that he can't remove from the list of My Apps in Google Play Store. I have the same problem when viewing that list on my PC, bit not on my Droid. Mine shows apps I tried for two minutes, three years ago. My solution is to not look at that list on my PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones