1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General How do i remove duplicate contacts and events?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jbass350z, May 6, 2010.

1. jbass350z

jbass350z Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Is there any way to remove all exchange contacts and calendar events. I accidentally since with Google through exchange and now have duplicates of everything.

Advertisement

2. jbass350z

jbass350z Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
  3. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Vernon, CT
    I havn't used exchange to sync anything on my phone, but have you tried removing your exchange account? I only ask because I know if you sync facebook with your phone, and you remove facebook it will remove all of the contacts and such.

4. ejkeebler

ejkeebler Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    supposedly you can go to menu / settings / applications / manage applications open calendar and press clear data, i tried this along with calendar storage, calendar widget, calendar my a$$ and still cannot get them removed, thinking about wiping.....AGAIN....

5. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    IT
    Central NY
    see if you can fix it from google.com/contacts or google.com/calendar

6. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    MA
    I made the same mistake.

Open the "People" app, press the menu button, and select "View" which is the thing that looks like an eye.

7. amarryat

Apr 18, 2010
    MA
    Sorry, I figured out that mod only affects what you are seeing in the People app.

When I went to compose an MMS, all contacts showed up :(

So the question remains, how can we easily remove either the gmail duplicates, or the exchange duplicates?

8. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Google has a great tool to remove duplicates if you go to Google contacts

9. Mitch R.

Mitch R. Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    I used the gmail duplicate removal tool when I merged my exchange contacts with gmail via a .csv file dump, worked pretty well.

10. amarryat

Apr 18, 2010
    MA
    They don't even show up on my gmail.com contacts. In the phone they are organized separately - within the People (contacts) application, there is a category for gmail and another one for exchange. I think that the gmail ones only get synced to gmail.com. But when you compose an SMS, both gmail and exchange contacts are listed.

I believe the way that I would up with an exchange contacts list is when I created my exchange account with my same gmail address, and while playing around with settings tried doing a sync. It then took all of my gmail contacts and placed them into the exchange contacts list.

I think I could probably delete the exchange account and then recreate, but thought there may be a faster solution on here. In retrospect however, it would have been faster to try my above theory :)

11. below_radar_00

below_radar_00 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    I have a question along these lines as well. I had duplicated and didn't know how to get rid of them til I read this thread about google.com/contacts. I went in and deleted a ton of duplicates and some people I never even talk to. Now, how do I get my People App to recognize what I did in google.com/contacts? I don't want to delete everything in the People App b/c then I have to go back in and link everyone's Facebook. Is there a way to just sync contacts with people?

12. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    If they are exchange contacts just go to your people app and do menu export contacts exchange contacts to fact on SD.

Then import them to Google.

I would want to have all my contacts in Google anyway andthewhole procedure taes 5 mins.

Font forget to export all your Google contacts to a backup file right before just in case