• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Do I Remove The Taskbar From The HOMESCREEN?

loader

Nov 13, 2010
How can I remove the large section at the bottom of the screen that allows you to drop app icons into it (the taskbar)? I only use 1 screen. 1 screen with apps on it.

Everything in the red circle of this photo needs to go and allow other apps to use that space.

Capture+_2022-12-21-18-35-27-01.jpeg

That's handled by the "launcher".... That bottom area that you speak of is called the "dock"....
You can long press on each icon and choose remove or drag to the "x" to remove them from the dock area. You can open your app drawer, which shows all of your installed apps, and long press and drag to those empty spots

That doesn't free up the space though. I have done what you said but that area is still "reserved" and no icons can be placed into that area.

Upvote 0
That doesn't free up the space though. I have done what you said but that area is still "reserved" and no icons can be placed into that area.
what are you trying to put there? the dock will always be the dock. you can switch out shortcuts, but that space will always be reserved....regardless of lauchers. some custom launchers can change the size or the amount of apps you can put there, but you can't just delete it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
what are you trying to put there? the dock will always be the dock. you can switch out shortcuts, but that space will always be reserved....regardless of lauchers. some custom launchers can change the size or the amount of apps you can put there, but you can't just delete it.

So much for personal preference. As I said, I delete everything and use 1 page with apps I choose with a mix of individual apps and apps organized into folders. I don't have a need for widgets on a tablet. I use far more apps than anyone I know but I suppose I am just more tiddy.

Upvote 0
So much for personal preference. As I said, I delete everything and use 1 page with apps I choose with a mix of individual apps and apps organized into folders. I don't have a need for widgets on a tablet. I use far more apps than anyone I know but I suppose I am just more tiddy.
If you use the launcher the manufacturer includes you will get the options they think you need (if you think this is bad, try using Google's launcher: you can't remove the clock, you can't remove the search bar, in fact you can't even move either of them to a different place on the screen!).

As Danny has said you can do this by using a different launcher. That's where personal choice comes in with Android: if you don't like the manufacturer's choices, you can usually find an alternative. Yes, you'll have to set up your home screens again, but you'll have more choice in how you do it - and it won't change the next time you get a system update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones