• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I replace an existing prefix to the names of some of the contacts in my Android Samsung F-62 Phone, with a new prefix, simultaneously?

If you really want to do it simultaneously then all I can think of is:
  1. Export all of your contacts to a vcard file (there will be an "export" option in your contacts app's settings).
  2. Copy that file to a computer (phones are rubbish for the next step).
  3. Open it in a text editor (it's just a text file). Do a global search and replace of the prefix.
  4. Save it with a new name (in case you got anything wrong).
  5. Copy the new file back to the phone.
  6. "Import" the contacts, and hope it replaces the existing ones (if not you'll need to clear all then import again).
Personally I'd not do a one-click search and replace (i.e. "replace all"). Instead I'd let the editor ask me whether I wanted to replace each instance of the string in turn. That way you can avoid unintended consequences, since if the same string that you want to replace also appears in someone's name or address a "replace all" operation will mess them up (e.g. if you wanted to replace "Dr" with "Doctor" you don't want to change the address "Acacia Drive" to "Acacia Doctorive", which is what "replace all" will do).

If that's too complex for you then you'll have to edit separately. If you sync with Google it may be easier to edit contacts using a computer (log into your GMail account and edit the contacts there), just because phones are clumsier and slower for such operations. But if you only have a phone then just search your phonebook for the prefix and edit those contacts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Make sure you export all contacts. Some phones I've met would export different groups of contacts separately, e.g. phone-only contacts, Google contacts, etc. That's fine as long as the import replaces contacts, but if it doesn't and you heed to clear things to sort it out you want to be sure you have a vcard backup of absolutely everything before doing that (if it exports all contacts into a singe vcard file then your original file is your complete backup).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones