• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I restore a chat backup I already restored?

Hi all,

I'll keep it as brief as I can.

New google pixel 7 pro, backed up on old 4a before transferring sim card. Restored backup, all good. New phone broke, but had daily or weekly backups to my google drive - cannot rightly remember, probably weekly.

I am resorting to my old 4a for the time being for phone calls. However, When I get a new phone, can I restore the original backup again? Or is it lost? Shall I just continue using whatsapp on old 4a where I believe the original backup chat will still be when I transfer the sim, then carry on using from that phone until the new one arrives and I do the same again. Chat Backup on old 4a I will now be using and restore that chat on new phone? Is the original restored chat lost?

Main question, can I access the daily or weekly updated whatsapp backup from my google drive?

Thanks all

If you are losing chats you need to be backing up more often, and it's important to do so on a scheduled, consistent basis. You always want to have the most recent backup files to restore from when needed.
Don't get too overzealous deleting old backup entries, save at least two or three going back just in case something gets corrupted in the most recent backup. You'll lose a few messages but that's better than losing everything.

Upvote 0
When you use the backup option in the WhatsApp app it will prompt you to select where you want the default save folder is located. Choose your Google Drive as your preference.
It's safer to have it saved to an online storage service anyway, and it makes it a lot easier to just do a restore or a transfer.
https://faq.whatsapp.com/744445782709185/?locale=en_US

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones