• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I restore sync'ed settings after a reset?

Per Acer tech support's instructions (followed carefully line by line), I sync'ed my apps and settings, and
did a reset to fix GPS (that part is the only thing that worked).

Acer tech support told me that my app settings and data would ALL be restored after I logged back in to
my google accounts. I've logged back in, everything is installed, but NONE of my settings have been
restored. How do I get them back? I've asked Acer twice in the last hour, and they're not responding
now. They were quick to respond and tell me to do the reset...now, silence. I am NOT happy right
now.

Oh, and when my A500 made me do the registration process again, it failed to use the existing values
(which should have been restored from Acer). How secure is a tablet, really, if a factory reset also
resets the owner of the tablet and the purchase date?

Thanks,
--jim

PS: I wonder...now that I've done the reset, and GPS is seeing satellites, what will happen when my
A500 updates its firmware again.......if it doesn't keep working, Acer is not going to like me.....

Per Acer tech support's instructions (followed carefully line by line), I sync'ed my apps and settings, and
did a reset to fix GPS (that part is the only thing that worked).

Acer tech support told me that my app settings and data would ALL be restored after I logged back in to
my google accounts. I've logged back in, everything is installed, but NONE of my settings have been
restored. How do I get them back? I've asked Acer twice in the last hour, and they're not responding
now. They were quick to respond and tell me to do the reset...now, silence. I am NOT happy right
now.

Oh, and when my A500 made me do the registration process again, it failed to use the existing values
(which should have been restored from Acer). How secure is a tablet, really, if a factory reset also
resets the owner of the tablet and the purchase date?

Thanks,
--jim

PS: I wonder...now that I've done the reset, and GPS is seeing satellites, what will happen when my
A500 updates its firmware again.......if it doesn't keep working, Acer is not going to like me.....

Go into accounts and settings and make sure the auto sync is enabled and make sure it sync is on.
Usually as soon as I put my account info and my wireless securtiy code back in it syncs up no problem.
But you do have to put your settings back in manually. Like wireless settings and some some app settings.

Upvote 0
Go into accounts and settings and make sure the auto sync is enabled and make sure it sync is on.
Usually as soon as I put my account info and my wireless securtiy code back in it syncs up no problem.
But you do have to put your settings back in manually. Like wireless settings and some some app settings.

First I did all of that before posting here. Just FYI. Second, Acer specifically said that *ALL* of my apps'
settings would be restored by the above process. I asked them about exactly that, i.e., how do I backup
ALL of my apps and settings (including apps settings) without rooting my tablet and thus voiding my\
warranty. That was their response.

FWIW, the reset DID fix GPS, and when I went to do the upgrades back to 3.2.1, I was already there.
Zero signal inside, but that's not surprising. About 5--8 satellites in view, all with STRONG signals
when outside. Now I just need to test the free navigation apps I downloaded from the market---two or
three that pre-load maps (driving w/o wifi), and have voice turn-by-turn instructions.

And I've got most settings updated manually, some from my own backups (I strongly prefer to trust my
own backups where possible). The rest, well, I'm just going to assume that they'll magically be restored,
or, I'll catch something wrong and go ballistic (again). :)

Thanks,
--jim

Upvote 0
I gave up on the GPS on this unit. It is abysmal at best.For me I don't need it for GPS which is good. At least with the software updates its improving.

Not me.... I won't give up on it for two key reasons:

1) I WANT GPS on my tablet---much easier to work with than my M B520.

2) I PAID for it, I expect it to work. Period. :)

Later,
--jim

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones