1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support How Do I "Restore" the Phone to Factory Settings?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Leonne, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Hi guys.
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy S II a while ago and it is a beautiful phone, but I have had some pretty annoying problems, and therefore I would like to "restore" the phone to factory settings.

• 3G never seems to be enabled regardless of how many times I configure the APN.
    • KIES used to work fine but now it always "takes too long to respond" whenever I try to access it via URL.
    • Sometimes the battery dies too fast (but I found a thread for that!).
    Please keep in mind I'm REALLY new to the world of Android, so I don't know the "lingo" of this nice world yet ("rooting", etc..). I have looked for a way to restore my phone but everything is a bit confusing, particularly because of these "big words". Can someone tell me how can I restore my phone to factory settings?

As an additional question, is there a way to see all the apps I have purchased/downloaded from the MarketPlace? Just so I can redownload them again. I don't want to do a full backup of the phone since I don't have much important stuff on it, so I would rather leave it in clean state and reinstall the apps manually.

Advertisement

2. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    UK
    recovery mode - turn off phone then press vol up+home+power to boot into recovery mode. scroll down to factory reset

marketplace will still remember your apps

3. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Perfect. Hope this solves all my issues. Thanks a lot for your answer.

4. Slug

Slug Check six!

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Just for completeness, you can avoid the recovery reboot by going to Settings/Privacy/Factory data reset.

5. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually ended up resetting in three different ways. I checked the tips and what finally fixed all my issues (most?, haven't played with all of them yet), was to dial a number I saw in the Tips and Tricks thread.

Now where can I see all the apps I have downloaded with my Google account? I don't remember everything I had heh.

6. sam142000

sam142000 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Student
    India
  7. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

For some reason, none of my apps where there... But I have everything sorted out now.
    Thanks everyone for the help :)!

8. Pete71

Pete71 Active Member

Apr 29, 2010
    UK
    I think Android Market only remembers the Apps you've purchased. It doesn't remember the free apps. (Shame really)

9. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Haha seriously? That really explains why I haven't seen ONE app I have downloaded. All of them are free.

10. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

nope, android market lists every single app i've installed, free and paid

11. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

Well this is beyond weird. It should register apps you downloaded via the Market App in the phone, right? At any rate, I have 3 Google Accounts, and I checked all of them just to be sure... None of them are showing my apps.

... Scratch that, sort off. I see apps now, but those are the ones I just purchased (EDIT: Downloaded for Free I mean). It's not showing the ones I purchased before I restored the phone.

The other apps are not important, but this really makes me wonder.

12. lobo76

lobo76 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    well, you can create a appbrain account, and install the app on your phone. That definitely keeps track of your apps.

13. Slug

Slug Check six!

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Try factory-resetting the handset and then logging-in to the Market. You'll only see purchased apps in that case - there's no way to keep track of free installs across wipes.

This is weird. Purchases are tied to your Google account so they should be listed. Go to your Google Checkout account - are they shown there?

14. Leonne

Leonne Well-Known Member

I didn't set up the Google Checkout service. I logged in to check, but it showed me a registration form so I doubt I will be able to see them there.

15. TheBundo

TheBundo Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Try using AppBrain before a reset or replacement phone, actually, use regularily along with a backup program like MyBackup Pro