1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I root a Samsung Galaxy S7?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Crazy Gamer, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Crazy Gamer

Crazy Gamer Lurker

I tried several tutorials online and every time I tried to use ODIN, it said that the write operation failed. I am trying to root my phone because I did a factory reset, and I am trying to recover some photos, but all the software said I need a rooted device. Any help?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what model s7 do you have?

MrJavi and Hadron like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Whether it's possible or not will depend on which model of Galaxy S7 you have (e.g. US carrier-locked models are different from European unlocked ones).

But it probably doesn't matter anyway: that device was released with Android 6, so the storage will have been encrypted by default. A reset will erase the encryption key, so even if you could recover the files you couldn't decrypt them. So I think it's unlikely you'll be able to recover the images anyway.

It's important to always have a backup of anything important, I'm afraid. Look at it this way, what would you do if the phone was lost or stolen? Or if it (or the SD card) broke.

(On that last aside, if the images were stored on a removable SD card that won't be encrypted: you can just stick it in a card reader, attach it to a computer, and run any file recovery software you like. But if they were on the internal storage I think they are gone).

MrJavi, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

If you were using Google photos, this wouldn't be an issue

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  5. ocnbrze

edit: ^^^^^^this^^^^ (ninja'd)
    also going forward i would recommend that you use google photos. it backs up your photos to the cloud. i never have to worry about my photos as it is saved in the cloud and i have access to it anytime i want. it also makes upgrading so much easier. it also save space on your sd card.

MrJavi and Dannydet like this.
  6. Install Twrp recovery

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. ocnbrze

it will depend on what model s7 it is. if it is a snapdragon, its not that easy which is why we asked about the model of phone the op has.

Dannydet likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S7 release date was March 2016. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8890 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

March 2016
Release Date
Reviews