• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I ROOT my new HTC Desire 830 Dual Sim?

I've tried several different methods that I found on Google and being a novice at this I was unable to make it to the root of my brand new unlocked HTC Desire 830 Dual Sim. Very frustrating! I have to get to the root because my sound level is so restricted. Please help me with the simplest way to root it. I have my Dev Options ready.

The simplest way is generally to unlock the bootloader (information at HTCdev.com), flash a custom recovery, then flash a superuser package. I'm not being more specific since that last has moved on a bit since I last did it so I'd be a bit out of date.

A custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) must be built for the specific model. Do not attempt to flash a recovery intended for a different phone. You use fastboot to flash it, installing that is described in the bootloader unlocking procedure.

Unlocking the bootloader will factory reset the phone, so back everything up first.

Don't waste time with rooting apps, the exploits they use have been closed in recent Android versions. That's probably why you were having no luck.

Upvote 0
The simplest way is generally to unlock the bootloader (information at HTCdev.com), flash a custom recovery, then flash a superuser package. I'm not being more specific since that last has moved on a bit since I last did it so I'd be a bit out of date.

A custom recovery (e.g. TWRP) must be built for the specific model. Do not attempt to flash a recovery intended for a different phone. You use fastboot to flash it, installing that is described in the bootloader unlocking procedure.

Unlocking the bootloader will factory reset the phone, so back everything up first.

Don't waste time with rooting apps, the exploits they use have been closed in recent Android versions. That's probably why you were having no luck.
I've tried those instructions at HTCdev.com and it wont go thru. Please help me more.

Upvote 0
Hmm, it's not listed in the bootloader unlock tool's supported devices list, which is very unusual. Of course some carriers (especially in the US) lock bootloaders down so you can't unlock them, so if it was bought through a mobile service provider there can be problems anyway. But its absence from that list is not encouraging.

Unfortunately a quick web search didn't turn up a custom recovery for it either (no support at XDA for this device, and the first link I found that claimed to be one was a phishing scam!). So it's not looking terribly good for this model.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones