• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I save Documents to my SD card now in Kit-Kat?

Homeuser66

Sep 11, 2011
U.S.A. Connecticut
Before, using other versions of Android, I was able to save all my Documents, Games or what ever to my Micro SD card (external storage). Now that I have upgraded to Kit-Kat, I no longer can, due to Google. Here is the link for more info: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

My question is, has anyone found an app or work around for this other than Rooting? I purposely bought a bigger SD card to hold all my Pic's, Doc's and/or apps. Now it's just a storage device that I can access from time to time, but can't make changes to any Documents I might have. I would have to save it to my PC then copy it to the SD card. Too much work when you're out all the time.

what's the trouble with rooting? you don't even have to put custom recovery, just root and use sdfix app from GP (there are tons of such apps over there). probably, no way to get this job done without root, as you need to modify system file. just like in windows from vista onwards, you can't change some system files unless you take ownership of them. you can then remove root if you don't need it after getting things done. all modifications will stay untouched and you will have access to sd card.

Upvote 0
what's the trouble with rooting? you don't even have to put custom recovery, just root and use sdfix app from GP (there are tons of such apps over there). probably, no way to get this job done without root, as you need to modify system file. just like in windows from vista onwards, you can't change some system files unless you take ownership of them. you can then remove root if you don't need it after getting things done. all modifications will stay untouched and you will have access to sd card.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I would love to Root, but if I do, my DirecTV GenieGo will no longer work. Which is a whole other sore subject all together. I even used Root Cloak....

So, if I do Root this and use this SDfix app, configure it, you're saying I can unroot and it'll still work?

Upvote 0
I use MyFiles, the native file manager to write/delete files to my sd card. It's a pita to have to move them but you can do it. Also Dropbox just did an upgrade so you can download directly to your sd card.

Thanks. I hardly use any Cloud for anything, but I think I'll have to get used to the fact that I'll have to save my Documents to my Device for now. or I just may start having to use Dropbox or Google Drive.

I know you didn't mention it, but, Root isn't an option for me at this time. I have done it in the past, just not at this time yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones