• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I select text to copy?

I am a Blackberry convert.....I am used to highlighting text (in SMS, email, internet, etc.) for copy and pasting. I can't figure out how to do that in Android Jellybean. I get that blue arrow when I tap, but it doesn't select. I thought maybe I tap for two of those, but haven't seen that happen. It's not in menu.....where is it? thanks.

I saw that it is device dependent? I am using Motorola Electrify M.

I am a Blackberry convert.....I am used to highlighting text (in SMS, email, internet, etc.) for copy and pasting. I can't figure out how to do that in Android Jellybean. I get that blue arrow when I tap, but it doesn't select. I thought maybe I tap for two of those, but haven't seen that happen. It's not in menu.....where is it? thanks.

Once the blue arrow appears over the text you want to copy just double tab the text and it should give you options to cut & paste.

Upvote 0
It's actually app independent with android. Typically you simply long press the text any then expand or contract the selection by moving the blue arrows. Copy in gmail is at the bottom. Urge aid it could be elsewhere.

Attachments

• 1363806209431.jpg
    1363806209431.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
In the stock messaging app, if i tap, i get the message details. If i long-press, i get the option to copy the whole message. If I just want to copy a portion of it, I have to long press the text, select forward and then as soon as the editing window places the copied text there i can select the appropriate portion. Then you have to back out and go paste it where you want it. Yep, it's a pain.

Upvote 0
also depends on keyboard with sms, i know if you are using swype for a keyboard you can press the number key at the bottom, and then long press the same button that turns to abc.. it then brings up the text selection keyboard, with that you can select all or one letter.. cut, copy, and paste.. you can go from "home" to "end".. there is also page up and page down.

Something that is useful to know if you use swype

Upvote 0
glad I could help :) it took me quite a while to figure out that little bit of info myself. And I did not intentionally find it either!

One thing I have noticed since I have upgraded to JB is that the android "clipboard" doesn't always copy to the swype "clipboard" where it always use to for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones