• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I set a different SMS sound to the default notification sound?

halfbeing

Aug 1, 2011
Yesterday I did a hard reset on my G5 and therefore lost all the settings. I used to have it so that I had a different notification sound for SMSs to the default used by most of my apps, but now I can't find a way to make that happen. I'm having difficulty googling for it because I'm still on Android 7, and the settings menus related to notifications have changed considerably since then. How can I set a default message notification sound that isn't the one used for SMSs?

The options in your Settings >> Sounds menu will apply to Android configuration changes in an overall sense but perhaps you had previously set up the text messaging sound(s) in the app itself. Have you looked into the Settings menu of your text messaging app for an option to pick a specific sound?
And don't forget, also be sure you're actually using the same text messaging app now as before. If you were using the default messaging app that came with your G5 it'll be the same but if you installed a third-party app you'll need to reinstall it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
The options in your Settings >> Sounds menu will apply to Android configuration changes in an overall sense but perhaps you had previously set up the text messaging sound(s) in the app itself. Have you looked into the Settings menu of your text messaging app for an option to pick a specific sound?
And don't forget, also be sure you're actually using the same text messaging app now as before. If you were using the default messaging app that came with your G5 it'll be the same but if you installed a third-party app you'll need to reinstall it.
Thanks. I must have had a brainfart yesterday. I think it was because the default notification sound is labelled "SIM 1 notification sound" even though the only short notification that is actually specifically linked to a specific SIM, namely an incoming SMS, is the one I want an exception for. And yes, I can set that in my SMS app settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones