1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I set up Apps2sd without a ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SirEagle, Feb 5, 2011.

1. SirEagle

SirEagle Android Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me or post a walk through on how to set up apps2sd without using a ROM that has it built in. I'm rooted, been for a long time now, but never installed a new ROM and don't want to. Would be nice to have apps on the sd card though.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Android Expert

What you are suggesting is indeed possible, but it is a novel's worth of explanation and would also require you to engage in a fair bit of command-line activity - presumably using ADB from a PC. (You can do the same stuff from a terminal emulator on the phone, but that is horrible, tedious work).

Not only that, but it would require you to either use a different ROM's boot image, or you would have to unpack the boot image that you currently have, modify it, re-pack it, and flash it to your boot partition. Either way, that is more than just a few tweaks here and there.

The basic method involved is not too complicated - but the devil is in the details:

- back up 100% of your SD card to your PC
    - partition it using Amon_RA (set swap=0, and ext to something reasonable like 512M)
    - restore the (fat32) SD contents to your card
    - install a boot image that causes the ext2/3 partition on your card to be mounted at boot at some place like /system/sd.
    - manually mount the ext2/3 partition on /system/sd, create a folder called app, copy everything out of /data/app to /system/sd/app
    - remove the folder /data/app and replace it with a symlink that points from
    /data/app -> /system/sd/app

That's only an outline. If you want detailed instructions of what goes on during the a2sd/app2sd setup process, download the relevant "setup" scripts from XDA and start reading them. If you are clever, you can probably push them to the phone and execute them - but that still won't relieve you from needing to flash the boot partition.

I don't know why you don't want to flash a new ROM; if it is the effort involved, then what I am suggesting above is way, way, WAY more effort than that.

Good luck; whatever you choose to do, make absolutely sure you have a good Nandroid backup first - and save it to your PC as a backup.

eu1

3. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

This may help: [Script][A2SD] Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 Beta 02 (01/22/2011) - xda-developers

But, I agree with EU1: you are probably better off installing a ROM like xtrSENSE, which moves cache out of the data area and leaves tons more room for apps and data - meaning that apps2sd is not required - or PlainJane2, which is pretty stock but has apps2sd support built in.

I'd Nandroid backup what you have first, but I understand that you can go from stock, rooted ROM to xtrSENSE or PlainJane without a data wipe first, meaning that you may be able to keep all your apps, data, SMS, call logs, etc., without having to backup and restore first.

4. SirEagle

SirEagle Android Enthusiast

Thanks guys, went ahead and loaded xtrSense.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews