1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How do I set up email check frequency?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MarkH27, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MarkH27

MarkH27 Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2012
    I have 3 email accounts set up on my S3..a cox.net (which is my default); a gmail and also a yahoo.

All 3 accounts do recieve email but ONLY when I hit the refresh button. I thought I set them up to check email every 30 minutes.

I have "synched" all 3 accounts to check every 30 minutes.....is synic'ing the same as setting up a "frequency check"??

I do not see an option anywhere that is titels "check email frequency".

Can someone please provide me with some info on this?

Advertisement

2. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    UK
    Some more details would be useful to help you better but for now I'll tell you how mines done, and you might be inspired.

For your Gmail account you can use either the Gmail app or the 'alternative' samsung email app.

For other email accounts is simpler to stick with the alt email app.

However, this app will by default set your accounts as exchange accounts and as such will have issues like bit displaying pictures in emails but instead only showing links.

Avoid this by removing the account from the alt email app. And re-adding it, via MANUAL setup. Here you get the option to use pop3, imap or exchange. Pop3 supports check frequency and also peak / off peak schedules.

Hope this helps.

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    i dont know about the normal email app but with gmail, i think it works through "push" and i think that means the app doesnt check for mail at set intervals but the server pushes any new mail so its instant.
    not sure how much battery that costs the phone while its "waiting" but i dont think its much tbh..... maybe someone can correct me?

4. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Cincy
    Yahoo account; Settings; yahoo; Sync schedule; Peak schedule- Push; Off peak schedule- Push
    See if you have those options for your email accounts. I was having the same issues, I wouldn't get emails until a few days later. Push sends then immediately. You know how I figured this out, I played around with my phone settings. ; )

5. Ron H

Ron H Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    I have email at Cox.net also, and here's how I have it set to sync automatically every 30 minutes:

settings/accounts/email/settings/sync settings/sync schedule. From here you can select never, every 15 minutes, every 30 minutes, or every hour.

6. MarkH27

MarkH27 Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2012
    Thats exactly how I set it to check email every 15 minutes...and it does not work...I have all 3 account set up with the steps u listed above...and still the only way the phone retreives mail is if I go into the mail and hit the refresh button.

7. zedwalker

zedwalker Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2013
    I have my set to check every 15 minutes. What I am wondering is if it is at all possible to make this instant like my good old Blackberry? MarkH27 asked this in his original post, and if the answer is here and I'm missing it I apologize.

I work in Sales and whoever is the first to answer the email gets the sales inquiry. Many of my fellow Salespeople have Blackberries and are of course beating me to the punch.

Help is much appreciated.