• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I specify my device to connect to a 3G network instead of Wi-Fi or 4G?

A

Android Question

I have two different Android devices with data plans that are both compatible for 4G networks (HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S3). We're developing an Android application and wanted to test it on a 3G network but both devices automatically connect to a 4G network when they're not on wi-fi. Is there any way to change the settings of these devices so they ignore the 4G network and connect to 3G instead?

Thank you!

There used to be an Android Activity you could access (seems to have gone away with the 4.3 "update") that allowed you to select the frequency bands the phone would search for. On AT&T's GSM network, the default was LTE/GSM auto (PRL). It allowed a graceful fallback to 2G/Edge, with priority to 4G/LTE. If you change the setting to WCDMA only, it will only access 3G/HSPA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones