1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How do I stop Android from trying to reconnect to devices that aren't there?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by JPCY, Mar 31, 2016.

1. JPCY

JPCY Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2016
    Male
    Hi everyone. This is my first post and I usually don't bother with forums as they seem long-winded and hard to wade through, so I feel like I'm stuck in a treacle maze at the moment.

Tried to find an answer, but I think either people are just not having this issue, or I am using completely different words to describe the issue - I haven't found anything here.

Whenever I turn on my Bluetooth radio, it tries to automatically reconnect to a previously connected device (no pattern to which device it tries to connect to, as yet. I thought it was simply the previous device, but it seems to be the previous 'headset' and not just a speaker connection for media, nor my hi-fi BT receiver.)

IMHO this misguided attempt by Android to connect to a BT device which is not even there is bafflingly stupid! Is there a config option to make the Android phone either check before it connects, or just doesn't try to reconnect at all? I've seen a suggestion for installing another app on my phone to do this, but am loathed to just continually adding software to customise my device, when it should just be a configurable option.

Is Google really that convinced that this feature is needed and wanted by everyone without exception and nobody will have any issues with waiting 30+ seconds before being able to use their BT?

I am incredibly frustrated by this every time I try to use BT - It looks unprofessional and desperately cludgy.

I have rooted my device (as I think that any lesser access would make the phone 'not mine') so I can access all system files, etc, to change this abhorrent and infuriating behaviour if at all possible.

Many thanks for any help or pointers.

James

I presume this is a 'thread' (question) so I will click 'Create Thread' (ask question) Let me know if it's just a normal post or if I do anything wrong, won't you? :)

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Is it really trying to reconnect or simply scanning? That's supposed to be normal, whether WiFi or Bluetooth? It turns on. I scans for available devices in the vicinity, and shows you the list. Of course it just scans the list of saved devices first. Or is it flat out saying "connecting"?

mikedt likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    If a BT device is actually trying to connect to something that's not there, out of range, turned off, you no longer have, etc., and it's preventing you from using it. That's definitely not right, and sounds very much like a malfunction or something gone awry.

What have you actually got there, a phone, tablet, TV box, smart TV, washing machine, microwave, espresso machine, etc, make, model, Android version, is it rooted, modified, custom ROM?

4. JPCY

JPCY Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2016
    Male
    chanchan05: I go to Settings > Bluetooth >Switch on via [ O ][ I ] switch icon and watch as it sits there with 'Connecting' beneath 'Mifa_F6' (which has a headset + mic icon) and waits, for what I presume is a time-out period and only then allows me to choose my preferred BT audio output device.

mikedt: It looks like a really simple survival mechanism in respect of maintaining a connection to, for example, a BT headset, but there is no context for the connect attempt (ie It isn't there.) May be fixable if the phone's BT was to successfully 'ping' a BT device and then try to connect to it, or even better a 'preferred device' tickbox which could be set to none for no auto-connect - Just a though. I have an Android 4.4.2 smartphone, a Cubot S530.

mikedt likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Cubot is a Chinese phone, although I've never seen them myself. It does sound like the BT is doing something that it shouldn't be doing, if a BT device is off or out-of-range, phone shouldn't be trying visibly auto-connect or ping it, and be preventing you from using the BT feature. I've never had any phone, tablet or computer doing that, including Chinese devices.

BT can scan if it's not connected to anything, and if a known paired BT device does comes into range, e.g. BT headphones, BT speaker, or something, it can auto-connect it. But that should be completely transparent and in the background

#5 mikedt, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    svim likes this.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Based on mikedt's insight, I'm feeling it's just poor coding from Cubot. I've never had a device do what you describe. A factory reset to reset the OS MAY help fix it, or it may not. But sounds like a bug on the phone.

mikedt and Dannydet like this.
  7. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    There's a lot of blame directed at Google or Android when there's a problem but the majority of ills are often something introduced by the phone manufacturer or cellular carrier. In this case since it doesn't appear to be a common issue I'd think a more appropriate target for blame might be Cubot, either in its Bluetooth implementation or whatever customizations it did to its KitKat install.

... and this is a completely biased, subjective observation but Cubot is also the company that's pairing up with Cheetah Mobile to make their own branded, 'CheetahPhone' >> http://androidforums.com/threads/cheetah-mobile-cubot-phone.1002670/

mikedt likes this.
  8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    What often happens with Chinese devices, is that manufacturers frequently like to do their own things with Android, and disable, neuter, cripple or remove features that are in more generic versions, that Google usually provides. And sometimes these customizations and their own additions can be half-baked or even buggy.

An example is removing the standard Android app-drawer, and instead having all the app icons on their stock launcher home-screens, so the effect is much more like Apple iOS.

svim likes this.
  9. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Should be noted it's not just the Chinese phones, U.S. phone carriers typically modify, customize, and brand their products too. The simplistic approach is to just blame Android but usually it's a murky, hard to diagnose mix of operating system, app software, and carrier interface issues that need to be accounted for. It's not like Apple where the hardware and OS are curated from start to finish in the production process, Google only supplies the Android operating system while everything else is determined by other companies.

mikedt likes this.