1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How do I stop my wifi from turning on by its self

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    I have a LG Volt2 from boost mobile. I have turned off "connections optimizer" as well as "wifi scanning". However the wifi keeps turning on when im not using my phone. I have uninstalled all the apps I have downloaded thinking it was one of them causing this with no success. I can not find any info on why this is happening other than the "connections optimizer" issue. Dose anyone have any info on why it keeps turning on?

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    I found something new yesterday. Wifi kept showing up on Better Battery Stats app and I know I had it disabled. Was told to go to settings- location, tap the vertical three dot menu icon, scanning should appear. Tap on scanning and turn WIFI scanning off. Not running in background anymore.

Attached Files:

Mikestony and scary alien like this.
  3. Nicademas

Nicademas Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2016
    If you would of read what I wrote you would of know I have already tried this. My "wifi scanning" is turned off.

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi
    It could be an app such as google photos enabling wifi to backup photos. Have a look at any apps that do backups.

scary alien likes this.
  5. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    Yes, I read your post. Mine was off also everywhere I could find in settings. Then someone pointed me to check in location. I did and there was a option to turn WIFI scanning off there that I didn't know about.
    If I've wasted your time,sorry and good luck.

6. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Yeah, I do believe the wifi scanning option/setting was (used to be) in the Wifi settings menu and not in the Location settings.

I was surprised it had either moved or was also located there...I think when it was listed in the Wifi section it did not necessarily have the "location awareness" context that it has today, although it likely served that purpose without Google pointing it out.

Mikestony and Jfalls63 like this.
  7. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    It had me stumped. Better Battery Stats showed my wifi running 100% of the time and I knew I had it off everywhere. Member at XDA told me about a setting in location, checked and it was on. I thought if I had WIFI disabled in the main settings menu it would be off everywhere on the phone. Toggled it off in location and it worked. Not showing up in Better Battery Stats now.

scary alien and Mikestony like this.
  8. Nicademas

Nicademas Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2016
    My location setting dose not have any settings for wifi. Nor do I ever use the locator on my phone. Wifi scanning is under advanced wifi settings and it is turned off. I do not use any apps that "back up" to and servers. I have even disabled apps that I do not use. (Google pics, sheet, calinder, Drive, docs, play tv/movies, music, hangouts, newsstand,ect.) None of the apps running in the background are using wifi. So im still at a loss......

9. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi again

There is an app "Network Connections" by Anti Spy Mobile in Playstore which should tell you what is making the connections. Install it and let it run for 24hrs then study the connection log against the wifi usage and you should find the culprit.

10. frosthax1

frosthax1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Male
    Modding Guru
    Jacksonville,Florida
    i vote on bloatware that the phone came with whitch can only be disabled/taken off via root.should still find the culprit but i bet its something that was preloaded into the phone.companies are notorious for this