• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I stop this Home button popup?

ThisWreckage

Dec 2, 2022
Android 11 phone. Recently, when I press the Home button (square in circle), a popup has begun appearing, asking if I want to use BvLauncher as Home, with the alternative of Game mode. I didn't know the phone had either of these apps which cannot be uninstalled (I tried). I choose the 'Always' response but the popup keeps reappearing. I've looked into Settings>App Info which lists all installed apps where I found BvLauncher, turned all its permissions on and made it the default Home app. I still get the popup. How do I stop it?

Attachments

• Popup.png
    Popup.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 179
The closest thing I can find is Bridge Verse Meta, it's a game - do you have anything like that installed?
Here's their Twitter page if it helps at all. Maybe you can contact them for support?
It's not Bv Launcher that's causing this popup, as that app has been working fine since I bought the phone last summer. I suspect a different culprit: I joined a consumer survey programme recently which installs an app to anonymously monitor metadata on my phone. That seems the most likely cause; I've emailed them for help.

Upvote 0
I don't think that's the pop-up the OP is referring to. The OP's getting the 'select default launcher as home' pop-up for what seems to be no real reason. The default home launcher setting doesn't appear to be sticking, or another app is interfering with it.

The only time this happened with me was when I used a custom launcher (Nova Prime) on my Galaxy S5. If the system UI crashed or the phone randomly rebooted, it lost the default home launcher setting so I'd get a similar pop-up 'Set Nova Launcher as home [always] [just once]'.

If a similar thing is happening related to the survey app, this might be the cause, either that or another launcher app is conflicting somehow.

Upvote 0
I don't think that's the pop-up the OP is referring to. The OP's getting the 'select default launcher as home' pop-up for what seems to be no real reason. The default home launcher setting doesn't appear to be sticking, or another app is interfering with it.

The only time this happened with me was when I used a custom launcher (Nova Prime) on my Galaxy S5. If the system UI crashed or the phone randomly rebooted, it lost the default home launcher setting so I'd get a similar pop-up 'Set Nova Launcher as home [always] [just once]'.

If a similar thing is happening related to the survey app, this might be the cause, either that or another launcher app is conflicting somehow.
Thanks Nick, yours is the first reply that seems to get to the nub of the problem. I forced the survey app to stop but the popup still appeared. There must be another app that's causing this. Is there a way to disable Game mode from doing anything? It's not a thing I will ever need, and it keeps turning on and interfering.

Upvote 0
I've also seen instances where another app's 'draw other over apps' permission interferes with the default launcher setting as well, but not sure why. Check to see if the survey app has a draw other over apps setting and try turning it off. That would be in the application manager's listing for the app, and in the 'special access' category (Android 6.0-under) or the 'draw over apps setting' (Android 7.0+)

Game Mode (or Game Launcher) is built-in, and shouldn't be interfering like this. I'm guessing this is a Samsung phone? However, if that service recently got updated it might have caused some issues. See if you can find Game Mode in the app manager and see if there's a three dot icon on the upper right corner when in the app's settings, and try tapping 'uninstall updates' if it's there. You might have to tap the same three-dot menu when in the main app manager list to 'show all system apps' first.

Upvote 0
I've also seen instances where another app's 'draw other over apps' permission interferes with the default launcher setting as well, but not sure why. Check to see if the survey app has a draw other over apps setting and try turning it off. That would be in the application manager's listing for the app, and in the 'special access' category (Android 6.0-under) or the 'draw over apps setting' (Android 7.0+)

Game Mode (or Game Launcher) is built-in, and shouldn't be interfering like this. I'm guessing this is a Samsung phone? However, if that service recently got updated it might have caused some issues. See if you can find Game Mode in the app manager and see if there's a three dot icon on the upper right corner when in the app's settings, and try tapping 'uninstall updates' if it's there. You might have to tap the same three-dot menu when in the main app manager list to 'show all system apps' first.
Lots of useful advice there. I've checked as you suggest: both Bv Launcher (which seems to be the built-in, uninstallable launcher from the phone's maker Blackview) and Game mode have 'Not Allowed' in their 'Display over other apps' setting.

Anyway, this is hardly important in the grand scheme of things. Maybe it will fix itself at some point. Thanks for helping.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones