• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I transfer playlists from windows to android?

Madmaxneo

Lurker
Feb 23, 2020
I have used MusicBee to transfer music and playlists from my PC to my phone for many years with no issues whatsoever, that is until now. I upgraded to a Note 10 + around September of last year and everything worked fine up until the latest update early this year. At first there was an issue with using my SD card to transfer files as it would copy the music but all the playlists had zero songs in them, but since my note 10+ has plenty of drive space I simply transferred my files to my phone's storage instead of the SD card and it worked fine.
Now it is happening again and I can't transfer any new playlists or transfer any newly added songs to existing playlists.

So now I am looking for an alternative. Right now the only thing I can find is for iTunes and apparently that works fine when transferring files over, but apparently I'd have to rebuild all of my playlists. Plus I really dislike the way iTunes works.

Anyone know of any good Windows music players that can transfer songs and playlists over to Android phones? Either that or is there some way to fix the issue I am having?

They have iTunes for Android, but I'd honestly rather not go the Apple route.

It's actually Apple Music. But when Iooked at it, it seemed to be all about streaming and purchasing songs, rather than managing your existing music library. And it requires a paid subscription with a credit card.

I manage my music library by named files and folders, for artists and albums. And doesn't depend on any proprietary software or whatever. Which is the way I've been doing it for 20 years now. :)

Upvote 0
It's actually Apple Music. But when Iooked at it, it seemed to be all about streaming and purchasing songs, rather than managing your existing music library. And it requires a paid subscription with a credit card.

I manage my music library by named files and folders, for artists and albums. And doesn't depend on any proprietary software or whatever. Which is the way I've been doing it for 20 years now. :)
I read that it also does your own music much like iTunes does but it has to convert every file.

But directly transferring files does not work with playlists, or is there a way to do that?

Upvote 0
I read that it also does your own music much like iTunes does but it has to convert every file.

But directly transferring files does not work with playlists, or is there a way to do that?

I'm not familiar with MusicBee, but how does it use and save playlists? Is it PLS files, M3U files, or something else? If it's PLS, those can be transferred to the Android device along with the songs, and many Android music players can use PLS to open playlists, such as Fubar 2000, which is what I use. PLS is basically a text file that contains a list of your selected songs, and what order to play them.

BTW I had another look at the Apple Music app for Android, and all I could see in it was paid subscription for their online music streaming service and song sales(which I don't have of course), and NO provision for importing and managing your existing music library AFAICT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not familiar with MusicBee, but how does it use and save playlists? Is it PLS files, M3U files, or something else? If it's PLS, those can be transferred to the Android device along with the songs, and many Android music players can use PLS to open playlists, such as Fubar 2000, which is what I use. PLS is basically a text file that contains a list of your selected songs, and what order to play them.

BTW I had another look at the Apple Music app for Android, and all I could see in it was paid subscription for their online music streaming service and song sales(which I don't have of course), and NO provision for importing and managing your existing music library AFAICT.
MusicBee uses the M3U files for export of playlists. M3U is one of two options, I will have to check what the other is. M3U is the recommended one for android.
Someone that used to work with me had an app that worked with itunes and allowed their own music files (with conversion), he always called it itunes. I thought the Apple Music app was it.

Upvote 0
MusicBee uses the M3U files for export of playlists. M3U is one of two options, I will have to check what the other is. M3U is the recommended one for android.
Someone that used to work with me had an app that worked with itunes and allowed their own music files (with conversion), he always called it itunes. I thought the Apple Music app was it.

Yeh, many Android music players can use M3U as well as PLS.

Can you confirm if your Windows software is actually transferring the M3U playlists along with the songs to your Note 10+?

Upvote 0
Yeh, many Android music players can use M3U as well as PLS.

Can you confirm if your Windows software is actually transferring the M3U playlists along with the songs to your Note 10+?
I got an Android update last night and that fixed the syncing issues I was having. I think that with this second update so close to the previous one that it was an issue with the update.
To answer your question; yes it was syncing the playlists but they were showing up as empty playlists on my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones