1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do I transfer text messages from old phone to new phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wuxin, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Wuxin

Wuxin Newbie

I purchased a new Blu G90 Pro phone. I want to know how I can transfer my text messages and phone call history to the new phone? (My old phone was a Blu Vivo 8) Is there a simple way to do this? Everything else seems to transfer over automatically. Thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

try SMS Backup & Restore

Dannydet and tube517 like this.
  3. Wuxin

Wuxin Newbie

I understand the texts and phone messages are backed up to Google Drive. Isn't there a way they can be restored on the new phone without going through a third party app?

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I don't know anything about Blu devices, never seen one, but does Blu provide any tools for backup, restore, and transfer of data for their phones.

I know some manufacturer's do, e.g. Samsung's Smart Switch, and Huawei's HiSuite, etc. Because if Blu doesn't you probably will have to use a third-party app or service.

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  5. ocnbrze

unfortunately you will need to go thru a 3rd party....even samsung with it's smart switch will not backup text messages. but sms backup has been proven to be excellent over the years.

6. Wuxin

Wuxin Newbie

"Even" Samsung...? I downloaded SMS Backup and it worked like a charm! Thank you! Why is it that text messages are so difficult to backup? A friend told me that you should be able to restore the text messages directly from Google Drive. It appears that sms backup basically does that...but it should be possible to do that without an intermediary. I don't understand that.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Wuxin

Wuxin Newbie

My one question is this: I have some concern about security with sms backup. They even warn you about this when you first install the app. So my question is, now that I've backed up all my text messages and restored them on my new phone, is it now best to uninstall the app? It's served its purpose and I really don't need or want it. To have it as an ongoing back up vehicle could jeopardize some of my other online activities. Suggestions?

8. ocnbrze

yeah no need for it now....i would wipe cache and data first and then un-install the app for a really clean un-installation

9. Wuxin

Wuxin Newbie

I already uninstalled. Can I still empty cache and data? Where do I go to do that?

10. ocnbrze

probably not. it would have shown up in your app manager within your phone's settings.

11. Wuxin

Wuxin Newbie

So do you think the app is sufficiently uninstalled??

12. ocnbrze

i think you should be fine. i have used sms backup and recommended the app to everybody here, and there has never been an issue.....i think you are safe.

13. Wuxin

Wuxin Newbie

Thanks so much for your helpful advice! Much appreciated.