• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how do I turn off camera autofocus and shutter sound?

Sorry but previous question was different. I was asking about a master mute. Since the master mute does not turn off the camera sound, this question was meant to ask if there was a switch to turn off the camera sound. If there is not such setting or the silence mode does not turn off these sounds then I think it is a phone design issue or bug. Where can I submit a design issue/bug report?

Upvote 0
That's quite weird, because my Silent Mode kills the shutter sound without problem. I didn't root, all stock. Except that instead of touchWiz, I use Nova Prime. Which I don't think matters.

By the way, the reason why the shutter sound is required in all devices, and often hard to kill, is to prevent people from doing surprised photos of someone who might not necessarily wish to be photographed. U

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If u google for answers you will find a lot of people complaining about the same issue. People seem to have different options on their phones and I am certainly one of those people with having no control to disable this.

I saw a couple of forum items telling us only a hack with a root access can disable this. So bad...

http://androidforums.com/t-galaxy-s...isable-camera-video-sounds-shutter-sound.html

thats correct some people have the shutter on/off toggle in the camera apps, some people can just mute the phone to mute the shutter

I still believe its the carriers that make those fine tuning to the settings and options, maybe its based on the model/firmware what are you on?

Upvote 0
On mine, when the phone is on silent the camera shutter sound is silent but I understand that's not the case with all s3's as others have mentioned.

I have no need to do this because as I say, mine is camera is silent on the silent setting so I cant test this method, but its worth a try if you haven't already.

If you go into settings >> Accessibility >> then tick 'Turn off all sounds'

See if that works?

Upvote 0
Hi John P thanks for your suggestion. I've just tried it but the sound is sti'll there unfortunately.

And in fact you can't change volume of It either and it is quite loud I must say. I've phoned my carrier provider Vodafone technical service and they transferred me to Samsung tech support where they confirmed there is no option to disabled this.

If turn off all the sound option does not work for camera, I still think this is a bug.

Upvote 0
it is not a bug. all over this forum there's been discussions about this topic.

for example- i have the AT&T version, and the setting is within the Camera app.

through some kind of holy guide of decision making, some versions of the phone do not have the ability to mute the shutter sound.

however, if you want to disable it that bad, root your phone, and flash a custom ROM. most custom ROMs out there have this setting in place.

Upvote 0
Flashing custom rom sounds a bit OTT isnt it ;) is it a Samsung's official recommendation is it?
As I said I found a solution in the link i pasted above so i do not need further assistance (and I was not expecting further replies but thanks anyway).

My point here is that if "mute ALL sounds" option does not mute "all" the sound for whatever the reason is, then either it should be fixed or if this can not be done, then the description should be changed so that the option does what it says.

also in my opinion, making the camera sound dependent on the carrier, that is a design issue. If Nokia can do it, apple can do it and HTC can do it on the same carrier, then there should be no reason why Samsung can not do it.

Anyway, you can close this issue. Thanks for your support.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones