• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I TURN OFF Google assistant?

Do you use the Google search widget? If not the way to really, really turn it off is to disable the "Google" app.

But if you've ever turned Assistant on it also turns on every single piece of data collection and history logging for your Google account. So if you aren't using it you may want to go through your Google account settings and turn off anything you don't want.

Upvote 0
This is driving me around the bend! It just won't go away no matter what I do.

On both my Samsung phone and tablet, Google Assistant is switched OFF, yet they both are still responding to both 'hey google' and 'ok google'.

What gives?

Download another voice assistant like cortana for example. Make it the default voice assistant, and give it no permissions.

Upvote 0
Thankyou but none of that worked on either device. I
Please let us know if the suggestions given so far accomplished turning off the uber-annoying Google Assistant. If not, there are some other things that should do it.

Ok. Google assistant was not turned on. But, I could not stop my tablet from responding to either 'hey google' or 'ok google'. Infuriating because I'm trying to use my new nest mini (free gift from yt/google) and my tablet keeps f'ing piping up.

I've eventually found solution, go to apps/google/permissions and disable the microphone. I know this is simple and I feel stupid but if you don't know that option is a thing, you don't know.

Upvote 0
I've eventually found solution, go to apps/google/permissions and disable the microphone.
But what if you want to record something, or have a video chat, or...do anything else that uses the microphone? :thinking: Nah, not a great solution! :)

This should actually solve it, without disabling any hardware or installing unnecessary apps.

If you've already done any of the following, you can skip them--but for the sake of being thorough, I suggest stepping through all of them.

- open the Google app
- press "More..." (bottom right corner)
- select "Settings"
- select "Google Assistant"
- press the "Assistant" tab
- scroll down to the bottom
- find and select your device
- turn off "Google Assistant"

Next, and your path may vary:

System Settings | Apps & Notifications | Advanced | Default apps | Assist & voice input | Assist app | set to 'none' [or your preferred app]

That's my path on Oreo 8.0.0; another way to get there:

- in the System Settings search box, type 'assist & voice input'
- choose 'Assist app'
- set to 'none' [or preferred app]

If you give this a try, please update us with your results!

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Thankyou but none of that worked on either device. I

Ok. Google assistant was not turned on. But, I could not stop my tablet from responding to either 'hey google' or 'ok google'. Infuriating because I'm trying to use my new nest mini (free gift from yt/google) and my tablet keeps f'ing piping up.

I've eventually found solution, go to apps/google/permissions and disable the microphone. I know this is simple and I feel stupid but if you don't know that option is a thing, you don't know.

Good tinking @TerraFirma69 and thanks for posting your solution :) .

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
But what if you want to record something, or have a video chat, or...do anything else that uses the microphone? :thinking: Nah, not a great solution! :)
-
I guess the solution is to just not use Google for any of those things!

God knows that I don't.

And I have disabled ALL of Google's permissions- except for contacts, (because (1) that information is easilly gained elsewhere and (2) it syncs my contacts between multiple devices and apps).

Upvote 0
I'm puzzled, @puppykickr! :eek:

In response to the OP saying they solved the [Google Assistant] problem by disabling their microphone, I said: "But what if you want to record something, or have a video chat, or...do anything else that uses the microphone? :thinking: Nah, not a great solution! :)"

To which you replied: "I guess the solution is to just not use Google for any of those things!"

:thinking:

I never mentioned Google, I simply pointed out that disabling the microphone as a way to get rid of Google Assistant isn't a great solution. And it isn't! Disabling GA is a good solution for getting rid of GA. Disabling hardware isn't necessary.

Upvote 0
I'm puzzled, @puppykickr! :eek:

In response to the OP saying they solved the [Google Assistant] problem by disabling their microphone, I said: "But what if you want to record something, or have a video chat, or...do anything else that uses the microphone? :thinking: Nah, not a great solution! :)"

To which you replied: "I guess the solution is to just not use Google for any of those things!"

:thinking:

I never mentioned Google, I simply pointed out that disabling the microphone as a way to get rid of Google Assistant isn't a great solution. And it isn't! Disabling GA is a good solution for getting rid of GA. Disabling hardware isn't necessary.

I don't think the mic is disabled.
Only the permission for it within Google.
So, it is only 'disabled' for Google, and should work fine for the other apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones