1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How do I uninstall an app?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RainPure, Aug 20, 2011.

1. RainPure

RainPure Lurker
    None

When I try to uninstall an app from Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - Poynt all of the options including Uninstall are greyed out. How do I remove this unwanted app?

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Welcome to the forums, RainPure.

If it's a stock app, one that came with the device, your options are fewer than if it's an app you've acquired from Android Market or some other app source.

The fact that those buttons are greyed out tells us it's likely a stock "bloatware" app that cannot be uninstalled without root access.

Tell us the name of the app(s) you want to remove, and we'll go from there.

3. mcvanta

mcvanta Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    You cannot uninstall those apps that came preloaded with the phone without rooting. I also suggest if you do root your phone not to uninstall those apps you could freeze them instead so you can get OTA updates for your phone.

4. RainPure

RainPure Lurker
    None

The apps that I want to uninstall are two that came with the phone. They are Poynt and Scvngr.

I don't know what rooting is but it sounds like something that someone with limited experience should not try.

5. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    It's my understanding that you need to be rooted to do this. At that point, one of the easiest/safest solutions I've read about is to use Titanium Backup's (paid version) ability to "Freeze" apps to prevent them from starting. You can then selectively choose which apps you want frozen, and play with this feature to see if there are any adverse affects to the daily operation of the device.

Rooting seems to be quite simple, from what I've read.

6. mcvanta

mcvanta Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Or you can use Bloat Freezer from the market its .99 cents in the market. I used that app on my triumph to freeze my bloatwares and it did its job.

7. TomXP411

TomXP411 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Rooting the Triumph isn't hard.

First, you need to install Clockwork Recovery and back up your phone's ROM, then download and install the Gingerbreak .apk. After that, you can use Titanium Backup to back up and remove any bloatware.

As long as you have a good backup with Clockwork, you can pretty safely mess around with root applications and know you have the safety net of using Clockwork to go back to stock. In fact, I restored my original Droid to stock a few days ago for the first time, and it was a very pain free experience.

I don't have time to post a full howto right now, but if you Google around for "Motorola Triumph Clockwork Recovery" and "Gingerbreak apk", you'll find what you need to know.