• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do i update my rooted phone

Hello!
I do believe if you try the update from your carrier, (ota update) it will not update as you are rooted...it will fail.
However, you can do 2 things to update:

1. Find a rom you can flash via your custom recovery that has the updates in it. You will lose everything doing this also, but you can nandroid backup first before flashing.
2. Update and lose root, via the most recent firmware for your device/carrier at Sammobile.com....doing such you will lose everything, so save what you need to save.

I think that is the way it is, but I would like others to chime in here also :)

Upvote 0
Hello!
I do believe if you try the update from your carrier, (ota update) it will not update as you are rooted...it will fail.
However, you can do 2 things to update:

1. Find a rom you can flash via your custom recovery that has the updates in it. You will lose everything doing this also, but you can nandroid backup first before flashing.
2. Update and lose root, via the most recent firmware for your device/carrier at Sammobile.com....doing such you will lose everything, so save what you need to save.

I think that is the way it is, but I would like others to chime in here also :)
I tried second method in april and i only losed root data was safe

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did it work
Are you asking me or letting me know it worked or not? :)

Upgrade lose root Downgrade lose everything
Not clear on what you mean here?

I am little scared abput my apps photos are on google photos so ok youtube for music
If your photos are stored in the Google cloud (photos) you won't lose them,,,,your apps that you downloaded to your device will be wiped out if you reset the device. Youtube for music? You just listen to music from YouTube videos?

Upvote 0
Are you asking me or letting me know it worked or not? :)

Not clear on what you mean here?

If your photos are stored in the Google cloud (photos) you won't lose them,,,,your apps that you downloaded to your device will be wiped out if you reset the device. Youtube for music? You just listen to music from YouTube videos?

I meant that if you downgrade you lose everything if you upgrade you lose root and no i dont use youtube just for music

Upvote 0
Since you're rooted you can backup all your apps and data with Titanium backup or a similar app. You can then transfer this save file to a pc or sd card so you don't lose it if everything gets wiped if you upgrade stock firmware with Odin. Then you could root your new firmware, reinstall titanium, transfer the backup back to your phone and reinstall your apps. Titanium won't save and restore pics and vids so if you want them, copy them somewhere safe first. If you go the custom ROM route though, you will need to wipe data in whatever custom recovery you're using but you will still have root after you flash your new ROM. Unlike the stock recover this won't actually delete the data from the internal sd so pictures and photos should still be there after. You will need to restore apps though. DON'T FORMAT DATA as that wipes the internal sd as well. Still back everything up to a safe place before hand just in case something goes wrong.

Upvote 0
Since you're rooted you can backup all your apps and data with Titanium backup or a similar app. You can then transfer this save file to a pc or sd card so you don't lose it if everything gets wiped if you upgrade stock firmware with Odin. Then you could root your new firmware, reinstall titanium, transfer the backup back to your phone and reinstall your apps. Titanium won't save and restore pics and vids so if you want them, copy them somewhere safe first. If you go the custom ROM route though, you will need to wipe data in whatever custom recovery you're using but you will still have root after you flash your new ROM. Unlike the stock recover this won't actually delete the data from the internal sd so pictures and photos should still be there after. You will need to restore apps though. DON'T FORMAT DATA as that wipes the internal sd as well. Still back everything up to a safe place before hand just in case something goes wrong.

Is 8-9 hours enough time to do that

Upvote 0
Titanium should back all your apps up in about 20 minutes. Give it another 20 for the Nandroid Mikestony mentioned earlier as you'll always need one of those just in case. Also download wanam imei efs backup from the play store and keep the backup in a safe place too just to be on the safe side. That's about a minute. No idea how many pics and vids you have so that could be the long bit. Then the time to download and flash your ROM or firmware. It shouldn't take 9 hours :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones