• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I update to a newer Android?

Hey welcome to the community :beer:
It depends on where you are and who your carrier is?
4.3 has been pushed out to most s3s now i think.
You could try downloading Samsung Kies to your pc and plug the phone in to see if theres an update.
Not many people got the 4.2 update and it kinda got bypassed until 4.3 and even that has been a bit of a disaster as youll see by reading all the 4.3 threads in this forum lol. 4.4 hasnt even been released for the s3 :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Hey welcome to the community :beer:
It depends on where you are and who your carrier is?
4.3 has been pushed out to most s3s now i think.
You could try downloading Samsung Kies to your pc and plug the phone in to see if theres an update.
Not many people got the 4.2 update and it kinda got bypassed until 4.3 and even that has been a bit of a disaster as youll see by reading all the 4.3 threads in this forum lol. 4.4 hasnt even been released for the s3 :thumbup:
I am in the UK and my provider is O2.

I'll try what you suggested, thanks.

Edit: No I won't try that, just realised I have no cable that connects from my phone to USB. Not sure what to do now!

Upvote 0
I am in the UK and my provider is O2.

I'll try what you suggested, thanks.

Edit: No I won't try that, just realised I have no cable that connects from my phone to USB. Not sure what to do now!

your charger doesnt have a usb adapter on it? (not sure how over seas chargers work tbh) your probably on the i9300? which was pushed the 4.3 update but it was a disaster (so i heard) you can goto settings > about phone > and under model number your model number will be displayed. what does it say?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
My phone is Android 4.1.2 and I can't figure out how to get 4.2/4.3/4.4.

When I click the Software Update button in the settings, it says the phone software is up to date, but this clearly isn't true.

What do I need to do?

My personal recommendation is always to root and then enjoy the benefits but that isn't for everyone, especially those who don't want to void their warranty. I am in the U.S. and on Virgin Mobile, so I own my phone outright and want to do with it as I please. Plenty of good info on the forums as well as on XDA if you choose the rooting route.

Upvote 0
your charger doesnt have a usb adapter on it? (not sure how over seas chargers work tbh) your probably on the i9300? which was pushed the 4.3 update but it was a disaster (so i heard) you can goto settings > about phone > and under model number your model number will be displayed. what does it say?

Yeah, it looks like it's the GT-I9300.

My personal recommendation is always to root and then enjoy the benefits but that isn't for everyone, especially those who don't want to void their warranty. I am in the U.S. and on Virgin Mobile, so I own my phone outright and want to do with it as I please. Plenty of good info on the forums as well as on XDA if you choose the rooting route.

Sorry for sounding stupid but what's rooting? I haven't heard of this.

And my charger is just a mains-to-phone charger. I got the phone a couple of months ago.

Upvote 0

struckn:
What custom ROM are you running?

Upvote 0
Sorry for sounding stupid but what's rooting? I haven't heard of this.

And my charger is just a mains-to-phone charger. I got the phone a couple of months ago.

Not sounding stupid and nothing to apologize for! Rooting gives you full access to your phone and the ability to customize at will, including running whatever Android build number you want. That is the short answer. You absolutely must research as much as possible before even thinking about rooting, as there are risks that come with the rewards, it is not something to jump into blindly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones