• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I update to latest non-official 2.1

screamster

Dec 17, 2009
Can someone point me to the latest an greatest 2.1 update? Does an version have Flash yet? I am sick of waiting on the OTA. do I need to root?

Do I lose my apps on the SD if I do? Quake, Quake 2, Nintendo Emul? Does all of the apps work? GPS?

Thanks.

Can someone point me to the latest an greatest 2.1 update?
check out alldroid.org plenty of roms there with 2.1
Does an version have Flash yet?
Nope no flash yet

I am sick of waiting on the OTA. do I need to root?
yes you do need to root. Check rootyourdroid.info

Do I lose my apps on the SD if I do? Quake, Quake 2, Nintendo Emul? Does all of the apps work? GPS?
As far as I know all those apps will still work. GPS still works. You can root then use titanium backup to backup all your apps and then find a 2.1 rom and you wont lose anything

Thanks.

answers in bold

Upvote 0
Don't be scared to root/install custom roms! I was timid for about a month or so. I was constantly reading threads here and on alldroid until I finally took the plunge yesterday. All in all, I will say that it is extremely easy IF you can follow instructions. I used rootyourdroid.info as a guide and was rooted with BBv.8 installed within an hour. My next step is figuring out what to do next as now that I have started customizing my droid I feel like I can't stop! It's addicting, backup often and customize without fear!

Upvote 0
Don't be scared to root/install custom roms! I was timid for about a month or so. I was constantly reading threads here and on alldroid until I finally took the plunge yesterday. All in all, I will say that it is extremely easy IF you can follow instructions. I used rootyourdroid.info as a guide and was rooted with BBv.8 installed within an hour. My next step is figuring out what to do next as now that I have started customizing my droid I feel like I can't stop! It's addicting, backup often and customize without fear!

keywords are read everything very carefully before you root. Rooting is easy, just make sure you back up all your apps and anything else you dont want to lose before you root.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, you do not need to root to update to the latest official leaked 2.1 ROM. Do a Google search for ESE53 and you should find the file you need. You will also need to find RSDlite in order to flash the file. Yes, it will completely wipe your phone if you go this route. I have been running the ESE53 since it was posted awhile ago, and it is very nice. It doesn't, however, have flash. From what I hear, flash will not be in the OTA release either.

Upvote 0
I shouldnt have said you need to root. What I mean is if you want to be able to restore your apps without manually downloading/reinstalling them then you need to root

Not really true either. When I flashed to ESE53, all my apps showed up in the market under downloads. Hell, some of them even redownloaded without me doing anything. Not sure what the trick is to this, as it seems some do and some don't, but it worked for mine. When I did some of the custom ROM's, it didn't do this, and Astro is nice, but after restoring, they don't come up in the market.

Upvote 0
Exactly what I have read. It is expected to be a direct download from Adobe's website. SOON I HOPE :D

I hope so, but like everything else, I will believe it when I see it. Man, it will be nice to be able to jump over to Hulu and catch up on some missed shows from the phone. But then again, about the time we get flash, Hulu will probably start changing over to the pay thingy they are discussing. Dang it!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones