1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do the majority of you guys connect to the internet?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by itsmicaiahdude, Oct 1, 2014.

1. itsmicaiahdude

Do most people use their android tether? (easytether, pdanet, clockworkmodtether)? Do you connect DSL, Comcast, or ATT? Mobile Broadband? What is you preferred method of getting an internet and how much data do you typically use?:thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, you should consider that not everyone is in the US. I am in the Philippines.

I connect via my phone through tethering, on a 20USD unlimited internet contract, on my carrier (Globe). I generally use up anywhere between 30-100GB a month. Speed isn't anything to write home about though. I get about a 3-8Mbps most of the time, but quite enough for my needs. 4G/LTE of up to 42Mbps is supposed to be available here, but for some reason my phone (Note 2 LTE) hasn't been able to pick it up. Not sure if my sim is compatible though.

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

My mobile connection is currently my only connection at home, as my ISP stopped serving my building and I've yet to get another. I wouldn't consider that my "normal" circumstance though.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

As I don't have ATT or Comcast, I usually use a short length of damp string to connect to the internet.

chanchan05 likes this.
  5. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

I use AOL dial-up.

Doesn't everybody else? :p

In reality, I have Cox cable internet at home, not sure who our ISP is at work, and I fill any gaps with my Straight Talk plan, but I actually have never used over 1 GB of data per month on my phone.

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Another non-American here.

DSL at home, and I'll connect via WiFi if I need a data connection on my phone during the day (my laptop is my primary network device in any case). So I only use mobile data when travelling, and don't stream media to it, so most months I don't even use 200MB of mobile data.

I probably tether a couple of times a year at most.

7. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Hi

adsl at home with a wifi router (max 5mbps) I use about 20gB/month on adsl (across 5 laptops and mine and my wifes phone and our house phone which is over our internet connection) and about 50mB of mobile data on my phone when I am out (I work from home). Almost never tether. Mobile data at home is max 2g as I live up a mountain. I have to drive 1/2 mile to get 3g and there is no 4g within 20 miles.

Roger

8. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Google Fiber gigabit internet at home, T-Mobile LTE or HSPA+ away from home. Yeah, I'm a lucky guy.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Centurylink DSL at home, and TMO data if not. Acer tablet, I have to hunt for wifi.

10. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

The only option I have is a Mifi Hotspot or no internet, or extremely slow and expensive satellite Internet.

11. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I'm on Comcast at home and use their WiFi router connections for data and calls on my phone, laptop and PC when I'm in the house. I have a lot of areas inside where regular Mobile Data and Calls just doesn't work. These triple deckers from the turn of the 20th century in Boston are loaded with dead spots. That's a really general statement I suppose it Could be just my particular house.

12. Cagey75

Cagey75 Newbie

Wireless at home, hot spots when I can connect when out and about or just go 4G - I get sufficient free data, don't go over so long as I'm not streaming full length movies!

I'm in Ireland. We've come a long way :D even most buses here now have free wi-fi

13. nickdalzell

I have a 15GB Data plan, and i tend to only get heavy use on weekends (which is when i pop into Play Movies or Netflix/YouTube) and hardly do much during the week. the main setup is a Jetpack Mifi 5510L (this is the most stable of the Novatel line IMO) with a Netgear Wifi Extender that provides five Ethernet wired ports to connect older devices (Such as a launch Xbox 360, TiVo Premiere without Wifi capability) that simply wirelessly connects to it. the Jetpack also acts as a router and the 5510l has a ton of router-specific user configurability.

I did use a WISP once (connectGRADD, or more nationally Q Wireless) but six months out of the year (normally winter months) when temps dropped below 27 degrees F the outdoor modem would just go out. just sat there 're-registering' in a loop. internet would come back above freezing as if nothing was ever wrong but i refused to pay over $60 a month for service i can only use half the year.

14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I noticed that in London recently, many of the buses had free Wi-Fi. No cellular reception on the London Underground though, paid Wi-Fi in some stations but that's it. Many other subways and metros, like Beijing and Hong Kong, have complete cellular reception and internet access now. I've seen Wi-Fi internet on some long-haul flights, but extremely expensive, like $15 USD an hour that Singapore Airlines were charging....eek!

15. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Wifi at home and work, both through Comcast.
    When out and about, Verizon LTE with unlimited data (for now).
    I don't tether as much as I used to; really only if Comcast is down or we're in a hotel/airport/restaurant traveling and they don't have wifi.

16. sully5981

sully5981 Well-Known Member

CenturyLink at home with 20mbpsDL/5mbpsUL. It is unlimited so I dont know how much I use. Then out and about I use Verizon unlimited with hotspot if I need it. Last month was the most I ever used and it was around 18gigs.

17. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Earthlink cable [over Time Warner's equipment]. I have no idea how much bandwidth/data I use in a typical month, as I've never needed to worry about it.

If I had to rely on tethering to my phone, I'd be up a creek! That's because I don't get a signal in my house--despite AT&T's insistence that my address has excellent coverage! :rolleyes:

18. mmmmattd

mmmmattd Lurker

I use every last bit of a 4Gb/month AT&T plan provided by my job.

At home I'm using the AT&T occasionally just to burn through the leftover data and TWC 30Mbps otherwise, between 140 & 170Gb per month.

19. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Hi there, mmmmattd, and welcome aboard! :D

mmmmattd and breadnatty08 like this.
  20. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

TWC, I seem to average around 140gb a month. My phone is connected to the home wifi most of the time, otherwise I use my Verizon data. I don't bother hooking up to other wifi. I use less than 1gb of my data plan typically (I work from home so am always on wifi).

21. nickdalzell

I've noticed that the hotspot devices have a better radio than a smartphone has. my Note 3 could only connect to a horridly slow one-bar of 3G, and loved to hop onto the even-slower 1xRTT whenever it felt like it, getting stuck on 1xRTT from then on. websites timed out, many had image load errors, and some loaded as if they came from the year 1996.

The Novatel Jetpack MiFi 5510L seems able to easily pick up two bars of 4G LTE and stay connected until i power it off. makes me wish they'd put some of that radio goodness into a smartphone. my LG G3 still gets one bar of 3G, but it doesn't hop onto 1xRTT the way my Note 3 did. but suffice it to say it's not going to replace a dedicated hotspot.

I am not sure what you guys are doing to use so much data. do you live on World of Warcraft or something? even despite downloading two 650MB ROMs, downloading a few gigs of game data and system updates to my Xbox One and 360, and then heavy Netflix use and a couple of movies from Google Play via ChromeCast, then some YouTube 80's cartoon goodness, i still haven't used more than 15.6 GB of data.

22. Wizard58

Wizard58 Lurker

Dsl broad band

23. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL *

Virgin Mobile , i use 3g just about everywhere which has improved tremendously since installing [Mod]PurePerformance over at XDA. :)

I think i've only gone over my data cap of 2.5 gb, probably only 3 or 4 times in 3years. I don't understand how you guys use so much data!

24. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

The 140gb I mentioned is my cable/internet through Time Warner. I use it for my phone, my laptop, my work laptop, TV (Netflix/Amazon/MLB/NHL etc.) and 12 hours a day for TuneIn radio for my birds.

For actual phone data I have 5 lines on my account and I'm the only one who consistently uses wifi. They use around 14-16gb combined.

25. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Time Warner for my home internet, usage varies quite a bit (can be anywhere from 150 GB to 350GB depending on how many days I work at home and how often my friends stream my Plex content). I hope to be moving apartments soon and the one I'm moving to has Greenlight fiber (100mbps down 20 up included in rent, can upgrade to 1 gbps down 100 mbps up if desired, though it's $250 a month).

For Mobile, T-Mobile $30 dollar plan FTW.