1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support how do you backup your phone!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by v0id, Jan 11, 2012.

1. v0id

v0id Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2011
    ok i wanted to know how you back up your GN

im new to the android scene so im only tuned for apple backups so looking for best possible ways to backup everything in one go

cheers

Advertisement

2. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    use adb for non root (link in my sig) or some of the other backup options if you have root.

3. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Well, let google backup most of the important stuff through sync (contacts etc). If you are using a 3rd party launcher like ADW or Nova launcher as a home replacement, most of those allow you to backup your homescreens so that if you install a custom ROM or even change your layout, you can get right back to the layout without adding all the shortcuts every time.

When it comes to your apps, Android keeps a record of any purchased apps, so it will automatically offer to download them should you do a factory reset or change your phone. The rest of the apps typically require another backup program. I've used Titanium backup, but I think it requires ROOT. Its a great program, but if you ever need it, you'll want the paid version. Free version requires you to restore your apps 1 by 1, paid allows bulk restore.

However, I noticed when I swapped out my 1st GN which was defective, that Google had backed up ALL my apps and data. Under "Settings > backup & reset" there is an option to have Google "back up my data" which seemed to work for me - so maybe you don't need titanium anymore (though for people installing custom ROMS and kernels the ability to pick and choose apps to restore and not is probably worth it.

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    you can also use Appbrain for backing up apps. This won't backup app data just the apps.

5. v0id

v0id Newbie
    None

Dec 10, 2011
    "Settings > backup & reset"
    ive seen this option but how do i know if it has actually done a backup and im currently all backed up just in case

thanks for the replys btw

6. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South
    ADB does your apps and your settings, wallpaper, etc. You don't need root.

One more adb command and it will backup your sdcard partition. Only thing extra needed to backup is your txt messages, and I don't think that widgets are going to be restored.

7. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Google dashboard will show you everything google has stored for you...

https://www.google.com/dashboard/b/0/

You can see under your phone that it stores data on the market, browser, settings, etc. If you scroll down to the android market section you will see that it lists all your installed apps, not just paid.

I can't guarantee that it backs up your app data, but I believe when I swapped out my defective Galaxy Nexus it started loading all my apps on the new one.

That's why I use Titanium though, to be sure.

8. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    I don't keep anything on my phone that's only on my phone.

Pictures are automatically backed up through instant upload to the private G+ folder.

Contacts are from Google Contacts. Calendar is Google Calendar.

I used Google Music, which is cloud based and synced to the music I have chosen at my desktop computer.

My apps are all right there at the Android Market.

I use Google Docs for documents on it.

I use Evernote for my notes on it.

All of these things are cloud based. I think it's time to start thinking of your phone as a portal to a bunch of information on the cloud, and not a storage device that needs backing up.

9. crankerchick

crankerchick Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    For apps that backup to the cloud like gmail, contacts, calendar, astrid, evernote, etc i do nothing.

For documents and pictures i use dropsync and dropbox to automatically sync photos and documents to the cloud and my pc running dropbox.

For apps that dont sync to the cloud but have meaningful data (like games) and also for system settings like my text messages, call logs, bluetooth pairings, homescreen configurations, etc i use TitaniumBackup and let it backup on a schedule. I dont backuo all apps since they come back from the market after a wipe. I just backup the ones with data that matters to me. I also sync my TitaniumBackup folder to my dropbox using dropsync so that my backups are instantly in the cloud and on my desktop and laptop. I do the same with my clockworkmod backup directory.

I like the dropbox because it keeps things not only in the cloud, which is nice, but also on my pc since i have dropbox on there and sync is automatic on it. Basically all my files that matter make it to my pc instantly without ever having to connect a cable. From there i can move or copy the most important ones like my nandroids for a hard backup.

I use iSyncr to sync my iTunes playlists and playcounts between my iTunes, phone, and tablet. And by sync i mean true sync so that when a playlist is updated in iTunes it gets updated on my phone.

Typing it out it all seems like a lot, but it really only took like 10 minutes to configure, and because the settings are all backed up, they are easily restored after a ROM flash or wipe.

Tags: