• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you check a ESN with Virgin before a buy?

I assume you are buying used, from an unknown third party.

Found this, it might work for you.
http://www.checkesnfree.com/
A word of caution when checking ESNs. Be sure you see the numbers for the phone you are buying with your own eyes when confirming. If the ESN comes out good and you decide to buy the phone, be sure to recheck the ESN on the phone before you hand over the cash to be sure the phone has not been switched with one that might possibly have a bad number.
Never accept a ESN number on a phone/potential purchase from a unknown party as correct. These shysters are aware that people are catching on to their trick about selling phones with banned ESNs. Buyers pays hundreds for a phone and the seller walks with the money. Customer is now stuck with a phone that can never be activated.

If the seller will not let you see the numbers with your own eyes or lives out of town/state where it is not possible to see them I do not recommend buying.
People lie cheat and steal on Craigslist and EBay all the time in selling bad phones. Another forum has people crying for help all the time because they got scammed on one of these sights.
Ebay will fix a sale gone bad and go after the seller, Craigslist will not.
Just remember if you can not confirm the ESN before the purchase and then again at the time of the purchase. DO NOT BUY.

Upvote 0
Also keep in mind it is near impossible to get a bad esn with a prepaid phone... You have to pay full price and you pay for the month before which means you can't lapse payments which means the only way to get a blocked esn/ imei on VM is if it is stolen. Which means someone selling a replacement phone while keeping both phones (that will get both phones blocked) or if someone reports it as stolen.

Upvote 0
I can say Virgin can be a PITA, my Mom didn't realize the double billing was her fault one month, she pressed top up twice, so when her bank refused the dup payment, they turned the phone off and demanded recipets to turn it back on. Which we didn't have anymore and the ESN is now "bad" Even though the phone only ever has two registered owners, me and her, at the same address.
[course good or bad ESN no one wants a kyocera oyster anymore]

But I got a good ESN Optimus V for Under $30 shipped just mins ago ;)

Upvote 0
Actually Mark thats not correct, you can buy a Virgin mobile phone with a bad esn and it not be reported lost/stolen. How's this? Well assume i have a Virgin account and I decided to go to another Carrier like Straight Talk, I buy a new straight talk phone and i sell my Virgin mobile phone because I no longer use it and its don't have service for the last few weeks the buyer cant activate it because its still tied to my Virgin mobile account for a minimum 90days after my last month of service ended. Virgin doesn't cancel your account just because you didn't pay for 1 month or even 2 months, they leave your account open in case you decide to turn your phone on. There are 3 ways to deactivate your phone is 1)either put a different phone on your account 2)call them and close your account, 3) wait 90days from end of last month you paid for service and Virgin will automatically close your account (90days minimum can be longer)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones