• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you get to the global address list? (GAL)

narcoden

Jul 19, 2010
I'm an exchange 2003 administrator and just got a captivate yesterday.

I can get email addresses out of our GAL on exchange no problem. I can't figure out how to search the company directory/GAL for phone numbers though. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hmm, well maybe it gets better in the next release then?

I saw an app called Swift Contacts that is supposed to read the GAL as well.

Anyone know of any free apps that can do this? As a work around, I made a new folder in outlook and just dumped my GAL into it. Only problem is that it doesn't self update though.

Upvote 0
The company directory is still not working in Android 2.2 at least on my EVO 4G. But the good news is that you dont need it to work. There is a better way. I kept thinking that Google was supposed to be the king of searching, so I could not accept the fact that you cannot atleast search by company name. After doing some digging I found out a way to find contacts by company name.

Press the "+" sign next to "Phone" on your home screen then select "Widgets" next select "Google Search" then select "People" and place the search bar on your home screen. Now you can search your contacts by name, company, number, etc. You can select the contact and see the full contact info for that individual and dial the number from there. You can also have the search pull up related email, texts, etc. when you search for the individuals name.

Upvote 0
So why is it that I can go into the standard email, tap compose, then tap "Search" when in the "To" field, and it takes me to a search screen with "GAL Search" as the title? But it can't find anything in my GAL? It really seem like the functionality is there but not working. What is the deal?

Update: So I downloaded the Swift Contacts app. Low and behold, when I follow the steps I outlined above, the GAL search now works. Luckily there is no need to open the third party app to access the GAL.

So far I have spent 2 weeks trying to get this phone to give the most basic business functionality. It would be really nice if the phone just worked out of the box!

Now if someone can please solve email copy/paste maybe I will keep this thing... :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones